Daily Water Intake

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Does carbonated water count as 'water' for our daily water intake?
I of all people should know the answer as I need to drink water more than most people [thought 'yes' technically everyone needs water.]

Do you drink water to keep hydrated?

In all honesty, did you know that not all that many liquids, i.e fizzy juice, tea etc hydrate you?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
As far as I'm aware, fizzy drinks, tea, coffee, etc. give you a positive effect when it comes to water. Even if its not much (I'm not sure as to the exact amount, but lets assume its low), it still counts towards your daily intake of water. One of the only things that gives you a negative effect would be alcohol. The amount of water you intake from it does not actually make up for the amount of water you lose from it.

On another note, you don't actually have to literately drink however many glasses of water a day - it's actually the equivalent which is recommended. This means that the water you intake from food stuffs actually goes towards that value as well.

I have no idea where I read all this, though, so feel free to pick it apart.

Earth

Registered Member
I'm not a massive fan of water & I hardly ever drink it. My daily drink is some fizzy, mostly lemonade.

In all honesty, did you know that not all that many liquids, i.e fizzy juice, tea etc hydrate you?
'No I didn't know they hydrated me, I'll keep that in mind.'

Honestly, :embarassed: I don't drink much water, unless it's flavored water (I mean in a good way not like hard water). I typically drink milk, soda or juice. They hydrate me almost as much as water does and Gatorade hydrates me more!

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
It's more accurate to say, the likes of tea and fizzy drinks do help in the short term, but since we urinate it out more, then we need to replace it with water.

Better explained here:
How much should we drink?

In the UK, you should drink about 1.2 litres (six to eight glasses) of fluid every day to prevent dehydration. You need more in hotter climates.
It is fine to have drinks that contain caffeine, such as tea, coffee and cola, but they are mild diuretics - which means they make you urinate more. So drink these alongside non-caffeine drinks, and increase your intake of water if you start experience any signs of dehydration.
If you are working hard in hot conditions, you need to drink more fluid than you normally would. The Health and Safety Executive recommends that you drink about 250ml (half a pint) of water every 15 minutes or 500ml (a pint) every 30 minutes.

source:
Dehydration - Introduction
[With certain illnesses/diseases, you need to drink more, however, too much water can kill you.
Water overdose kills woman in Wii challenge | World news | guardian.co.uk

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I dropped some of the fizzy drinks from my daily intake. All I drink these days is Ice Tea, Powerade/Gatorade, V/RedBull and mostly of all..water.

As mentioned, most things you consume contain water. A surprising amount, actually.

The amount of water you should be drinking is different for every individual. I think it mainly depends on how much exercising you do, but other factors influence it too. I drink quite a lot of water (it's pretty much all I drink) but not enough really enough each day.

Squeakers

Registered Member
I usually try and drink about 6 or 7 glasses of water per day. I find that it not only keeps me hydrated but I can also go so much longer before I have to eat. :thumbsup:

Jessticles

Registered Member
I try drink around 6 glasses of water a tea. Some days I have a cup of tea, some days I have orange or cranberry juice.

If I'm drinking alcohol I drink a lot more water. Also keep a bottle of water beside my bed and before I go to sleep I drink some, same when I wake up.