• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cutting Down Smoking

Shwa

V.I.P.
So I started smoking about a year about, but at that stage it was more for the social setting for me to start it. As in, going out to a pub with a couple friends or just smoking outside on the patio with my room mates. It wasn't a big thing for me, just one here or there while having a drink or just talking.

Lately though, it's been progressing to the point where I really crave a smoke just for the hell of it. My bar backing job I start at 5pm and I usually finish all my work withing the hour if not earlier. The club doesn't bring in the evening crowd until 930-10 o'clock in the evening, so usually that time I just spend listening to my music or just having a smoke to pass the time. It just fills some boredom in me to keep me awake. But as a result, I can see myself smoking a pack a day on my own.

I can also see the downside of all of this, my exercise rituals have decreased by a ton! I'm more short of breath when jogging around, seem to be tired more and taking plenty of naps, along with the face that just buying a pack a day is just costly to my budget. Before I would survive on a pack of smoked for 2 months on a single pack. I know of the many long term effects of smoking, we all do, now it seems like an actual addiction.

So I ask my fellow GF'ers if they have any advice so I can start cutting down? I would like to get to the point where I was before that it was always optional, but not necessary to smoke. Any advice from other smokers or past smokers?

~Shwa

Impact

V.I.P.
I quit completely 1 month and 21 days ago, although I have had a social smoke here and there when i've been out drinking. Mainly, it's just that you have to have willpower. When I was first quitting, every time I wanted a smoke, i'd chew a piece of gum. Maybe try that. I dunno what to suggest as something to do during the boring times at work though.

jdndfw

Registered Member
Shwa,

I hate to say i told you so but.... when you first started i said be careful before you know it you'll be up to a pack a day. did you listen? maybe a little. All I can say is if you are gonna cut down then cut down but the best thing to do is quit NOW while it's still pretty new in your daily routine. occupy your mind with a task and concentrate on not stopping til you're finished. keep your hands busy and I agree that gum helps with the initial craving. if you just attack the problem from all sides you won't have any problem... sharpen your will. it's a hell of a thing to go up against. LOL. good luck. let us know how it goes.

jd

Dabs

Registered Member
Shwa,

I hate to say i told you so but.... when you first started i said be careful before you know it you'll be up to a pack a day. did you listen? maybe a little. All I can say is if you are gonna cut down then cut down but the best thing to do is quit NOW while it's still pretty new in your daily routine. occupy your mind with a task and concentrate on not stopping til you're finished. keep your hands busy and I agree that gum helps with the initial craving. if you just attack the problem from all sides you won't have any problem... sharpen your will. it's a hell of a thing to go up against. LOL. good luck. let us know how it goes.

jd

I think this is very good advice.
I have never been a smoker, but I have known several who have tried many times to quit, and the best way for most was cold turkey.
Throw them cigarettes out and find other things to keep you occupied.
Keep your hands busy with some activity, chew some gum, suck on hard candy..anything, that helps keep your mind off the smokes.
Best of luck to you!

BigBob

Registered Member
I think this is very good advice.
I have never been a smoker, but I have known several who have tried many times to quit, and the best way for most was cold turkey.
Throw them cigarettes out and find other things to keep you occupied.
Keep your hands busy with some activity, chew some gum, suck on hard candy..anything, that helps keep your mind off the smokes.
Best of luck to you!
This.

That's the best way to do it. Some people can, some people can't. I started smoking when I was about 18 and quit within 4 months (same time I quit my job).. I started again after I went back to working the same job but quit within a couple of months because I started thinking to myself, why?

Shwa

V.I.P.
From when I posted this thread I've made some progress with quitting. Like you all have advised I've been chewing a lot of gum lately, it helps out some and I like gum so yay! I never thought that hard candy would help,m I wouldn't mind giving that a try. Currently I'm down from smoking a pack a day to mostly half a pack, and save the rest for another day, or even less than that. I still have time to spare before the rush crowd gets to the bar, so i just listen to more music and jog around the patio.

Thanks for the wise advice guys and dolls :D