Customer Service : Gone too far!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smelnick, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

So I love to buy food from A&W. It's a fast food place here in Canada. I love the one burger I always get. So I goto this one in the mall by where I work, after work sometimes. Theres this one guy that works there now, and when he takes my order, he is far to friendly and bubbly. Lets run through the conversation.

Him: "Hello and welcome here today to A&W. Will you be dining inside today, or will you be taking it to go today?"

Me: "In"

Him: "Alllllrighty. Okay sir, what can I get for you to eat today?"

Me: "I'll get a grandpa burger combo, with cheese and bacon, onion rings instead of fries, root beer to drink, but upsize the rootbeer please"

Him: *repeats order back* "alrighty sir, that'll be $12.54. Will there be anything else for you today sir?"

"No, that's fine"

I hand him my debit card.

Him: "Debit? okey dokey, that machines just over here, let me just swipe it for you, and you can punch in your stuff!"

I punch in my pin, it says approved

Him: "Awesome, looks like you had the right amount of dough! Your food will be up in a minute. Would you like any ketchup, salt or vinegar with your meal today sir?"

Me: "Naw, thats fine, thankyou."

Him: "Okily dokely, your meal will be up in just a moment"

Food is ready

Him: "Alrighty, here's your grandpa burger, heres your drink and heres you're onion rings. Will there be anything else for you today sir?"

"No."

Him: "alrighty then sir, you have yourself a good day today sir."

Now imagine this in a voice that have slurps and hisses, and lisps as he talks. GOD AWFUL ANNOYING. It's to the point now where I go to subway instead if I see him manning the till.

Whats your opinion? Am I being a bit harsh lol? Do you have this experience with cashiers or till operators or whoever that just talk more than they need to, to the pont of driving away customers? How much is too much talking do you figure? lets hear it people?

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Usually around here when I'm being served it can seem like they really don't want to be there, and it can make you feel guilty about asking them for something even though you're the customer and you're paying for it. So I would prefer the upbeat, over-friendly member of staff to that any day. That said, I can definitely see how it's annoying. Written down I just think "awh that's kinda cute he cares so much about pleasing customers" but I bet it's different in person.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

It looks cute written down, but that's just because it's impossible to write down how truly annoying it is. GF would explode. I'm all for being friendly. But adding so many words and phrases just gets annoying. It's possibly to be friendly, and keep it short and simple.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I like overly friendly people. They remind me of Ned Flanders from The Simpsons, and I like that.

What I don't like are - very much like Rebeccaaa - the people who seem depress and annoyed if you ask them for something. It's very refreshing to have somebody friendly, or even overly friendly to serve you.

Who knows, maybe these overly friendly people are the newbies. We were all (...or still are) newbies in some way or another. :p

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i'm amazed by the "friend-ness" he showed. in Albania you get the enemy-ness as a customer.
    those who serve you will make sure to let you know how unwelcome you are.
    especially those who work in fast foods. when you get in there, the first thing they'll say is literally "what do you want?". you say what you want, they give it to you, you pay and then go. nothing more. they don't even say good-morning/evening; sir/madam ; have a nice day/enjoy your food/good-bye etc.
    no no no .
    and if you ask something else they'll give you a look of "aren't you done yet?"

regarding the guy who served you, he may had gone overboard with asking too many questions, repeatedly but that's ok. it's not harmful.
    better that way.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally it's very rare here as well that you get people so friendly, a lot of these kids are usually Can I take your order and that's it, they punch it in and ask the next person in line what they like.

But I've had a few people like you describe Smel and I agree with you it's extremely annoying, all you want his your food and not their life story so to speak. Usually when it happens, I just pretend I get a phone call, or start texting someone.

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I can imagine the kind of person you're referring to and I'd definitely find it annoying. I guess it's his job though.
    Where I live people just seem pissed off and want you out of the way as quick as possible. They'll take your order, pass it to you quickly and then shout for the next person in the line.

8. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

You know I have noticed lately that fast food customer services seems a little ott... I mean I work in a contact center for a leading cable company where the customer service expectations are quite high but some people here get away with a less than par attitude towards customers, then you go to McDonalds and the fuckers seem like they are trying to upsale you on your damn combo meal. Average pay for fast good workers: 7-8 /hr, average pay for people here: 12/hr + commissions. It just doesn't make sense that they actually give a shit about what cheap burger combo you want, maybe they're coaxing us to want to start tipping our fast food servers...