• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Curse Words in Literature

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I figured this would be the best place for this.

So what do you think? Are curse words okay to use in literature? Does it make them too immature or childish? To what degree should they be used? I come to you with this discussion because I recently debated with someone about this very subject and she was strongly against ever using them. I think it's ridiculous to never use them because they're such vivid and emotional words. What do you think?

Malificus

Likes snow
Curse words are acceptable, as long as they're used it the right context.

Basically, don't curse in the Narrative. And don't use them too much in the dialogue. Only use them for emphasis, not for every other word the person says, especially for the main character.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Actually, depending on the dialogue and character using said dialogue, it can aid the development of the character. But yeah, obviously your story is going to sound like some My Chemical romance angst-fest if cussing is nonstop.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I'd have to agree with Mal, it basically just depends on the context of the story.

Malificus

Likes snow
My biggest problem is I've actually seen cursing in the narrative. The omnipresent 3-person kind of narative too, not just 1st person.

It never works.

Blur

iPimp
Its fine if they do it right. The Catcher In The Rye was a horrible book and they overused profanity to the max. It basically sounded like an emo college kid who just got done listening to eminem for the first time.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Thank god, someone else who hated Catcher in the Rye. I thought I'd never find another.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I recently read a book called Pig Island, it's written in...first person and the main character uses a lot of swear words when he's stressed or stressed when describing something. I wasn't surprised. I don't mean to be sterotypical, but some men swear a lot!

I don't always use swear words when i write because my stories are aimed at young teens (Although my councellor read Virus), i only use swear words when the character is annoyed or stressed. Sometime i just hint that they swore, it makes no difference.

Personally, i don't mind swearing. It's freedom of speech to me!