• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sad Culling of Sharks

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just seen a report on the newspaper website the Independent about a level of shark culling in the shores of Australia:

Australia shark cull: Government destroys 50 sharks in trial programme – but fails to catch a single great white blamed for fatalities

More than 170 sharks have been caught and 50 destroyed as part of Australia’s controversial culling policy, government figures have revealed.

Officials said the programme was “successfully restoring confidence” among beachgoers in Western Australia, but opponents have been critical after it emerged that the animals caught did not include a single great white – the species most often blamed for fatal attacks.

The trial scheme involved placing drum lines along seven of the state’s most popular beaches, and while tiger sharks were the most commonly caught there were also five protected makos, four of which were either killed or found already dead on the line.

Read more
It is no secret and I think it has come up before that this type of activity is simply one I cannot abide or stand. I hate this idea that we must remove animals from their natural habitat because humans stepped into their backyard and sharks did what comes natural to them, you can't stop that and why should you?

As the story goes onto say in further detail is they have not found any of the shark type they were looking for and have killed other types that they didn't intend to but hey, they are only sharks. Also as far as I know you don't get shark rap-sheets to show which shark ate someone - just putting that out there...

I really hope someone sees sense very soon and stops this. Whoever you think created this planet be it God or evolution I don't think it is down to the humans to determine which kind of animals goes and stays.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If people are worried about sharks then stay out of their habitat. I think its ridiculous to start culling them. They already have enough problems with the fining. If we keep it up there will be yet another ocean species having problems surviving.

brikaben

Registered Member
I live in Western Australia and I think this is ridiculous.

Most of our state (and country) are against the culling of sharks, there have been protests that thousands of people have attended around the country (I believe it was about 5000 people at just one beach here in Perth) to try and get the government to stop this.

Survivors of shark attacks have even spoken out against shark culling, stating that they were fully aware of the risks involved when swimming/surfing and believe that we should not punish the sharks.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm glad to hear people in Australia are coming out against this, there is no need to punish sharks for being sharks.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am also pleased that people of Australia are against this, it is always pleasing to see sensible people still exist out there and are willing to say "this is wrong, this is inhumane, can we not put our brains into gear?"

Is it likely that this will be stopped based on how the reactions have been?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't stop it because of the protests. These people are voters and they should be worried about making them mad. They should also realize that only a small minority of people that are against it protest and there are many more that don't like it.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm a diver, and as such, I have a great love for the ocean and everything in it. But I feel the same about land creatures being killed off in their own natural habitat because they threaten humans going into those areas. That happens here with lions and leopards from time to time as well. Not culling per se, but getting killed because they "tasted human flesh".

I was a little taken back with the comment about "beach-goers being more at ease". That's disturbing. And ignorant of beach-goers if in fact true. Sharks aren't the only threat in the ocean. If you're scared, stay out of the ocean. Every person that chooses to go into the ocean should be aware of the risks and humans really shouldn't meddle with these animals in their natural habitat.
------
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't stop it because of the protests. These people are voters and they should be worried about making them mad. They should also realize that only a small minority of people that are against it protest and there are many more that don't like it.
I am not sure it's quite that easy, unfortunately. Although, I hope it helps. The problem is that the beach is a tourist destination. Tourists brings money to the surrounding businesses. Money talks. If people are scared of sharks and stop going on beach holidays, the economy will be affected.

Last edited:

brikaben

Registered Member
As far as I am aware it is not going to stop anytime soon. Culling season has apparently just ended but I believe that it will start up again around September / October (going back into summer).

The Western Australian government that bought this in keep "reminding" us that culling has been happening in Queensland for years and we are just now "catching up" to them.