• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Crying over sports

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
After the death of Ernie Harwell yesterday it got me thinking. Have you ever cried over a sporting event? Or a sports athlete or announcer?

I'm not much of a crier myself but I remember getting teary eyed after the death of Jack Buck because of what he meant to me. I grew up listening to that guy. I heard his voice almost every summer's day for over 10 years. He was Cardinals baseball.

Darryl Kile, former Cardinals pitcher, died in 2002 at the age of 33. This one was sudden and unexpected and was more of a shock the anything.

The Cardinals won the World Series 2006 but I didnt cry. The Rams won the Super Bowl in 2000 but I didnt cry. I know there are alot of people who cry over wins and losses but I've never really done that.

Just like anything else these guys shaped our lives so when they pass on its like losing a family member.

Stories?

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I cried when England got knocked out of Euro 96 and the World cup in 98

:) I'm not ashamed! I get really into football!

I also cried at the hillsborough memorial (20 years on) last year. My mum was at that match and hearing some of the stories just got the lump in my throat!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I definitely cried a few times, a lot of times is when my team gets eliminated from the playoffs, it’s mostly emotional anger. I got a little emotional when Sean Taylor passed away since I’ve been following him since his Hurricanes days. So in other words I’ve cried a few times and personally I don’t see any wrong in doing so.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
yes, I cried when Mickey Mantle passed away.

And I cried in happiness when the New England Patriots and the Boston Redsox finally won the Super Bowl / World Series after so many years of fail.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I definitely cried a few times, a lot of times is when my team gets eliminated from the playoffs, it’s mostly emotional anger. I got a little emotional when Sean Taylor passed away since I’ve been following him since his Hurricanes days. So in other words I’ve cried a few times and personally I don’t see any wrong in doing so.
I remember when the Blues lost to the Canucks in the 1994/1995 playoffs. It was the first year under Mike Keenan and needless to say we were expecting big things. Then Vancouver beat us in the first round. I was so upset that I remember kicking my trash can so hard that I broke it and cut a huge gash down the side of my big toe. I might have cried...I dont remember.

Most of the time I just get extremely pissed off but I have settled down as I've gotten older.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I remember when the Blues lost to the Canucks in the 1994/1995 playoffs. It was the first year under Mike Keenan and needless to say we were expecting big things. Then Vancouver beat us in the first round. I was so upset that I remember kicking my trash can so hard that I broke it and cut a huge gash down the side of my big toe. I might have cried...I dont remember.

Most of the time I just get extremely pissed off but I have settled down as I've gotten older.
I’ve had a few of those moments, I remember I was at a pub/restaurant to watch the Raptors vs the Nets in a playoffs game. If the Raptors loss they were out, well needless to say they loss the game. I went to the washroom and punched a wall(didn’t do any damage to the wall) but I bruised my knuckles. I take sports really serious, especially come playoff time.

@ Storm:

I didn’t know that you were a fan of The Mick, I’ve never seen him play(which is pretty obvious) but I’ve read many books, and articles about the man and he’s definitely one of my idols when it comes to baseball. Surprised that you cried when he passed away, especially since you’re a Red Sox fan.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I’ve had a few of those moments, I remember I was at a pub/restaurant to watch the Raptors vs the Nets in a playoffs game. If the Raptors loss they were out, well needless to say they loss the game. I went to the washroom and punched a wall(didn’t do any damage to the wall) but I bruised my knuckles. I take sports really serious, especially come playoff time.

@ Storm:

I didn’t know that you were a fan of The Mick, I’ve never seen him play(which is pretty obvious) but I’ve read many books, and articles about the man and he’s definitely one of my idols when it comes to baseball. Surprised that you cried when he passed away, especially since you’re a Red Sox fan.
oh yes. I've met him several times when I was a youngster. I've got 2 baseballs and 1 ripped piece of paper signed by him many years ago. My dad and grandfather adored Mickey Mantle and it rubbed off on me.:)

Now, about the whole Yankee / REDSOX thing... you see, my father was / is a huge Yankee fan and my mother was / is a huge REDSOX fan... For many years I liked them both and still do to an extent but becasue I'm from Massachusetts, I'm loyal and devoted to the REDSOX when they play against the Yanks.:D

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’m even more jealous of you now, that’s pretty incredible that you’ve met him a few times and that you have a couple of autographs from the legend. Anyway, I’m going way off topic here, so let’s get back about crying about sports.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I dont cry but I do tend to tear up. For example, a few years ago the Montreal Canadiens needed to beat the hate Toronto Maple Leafs on the last game of the year to make the playoffs...well we were up 4-2 and then stupid penalities were taken and BS goals were scored and we lost 6-5. I was heartbroken about te lost that I teared up. But like BR mention I tear up due to frustrations build-up, and that Raptors Vs Nets series was a perfect example of that.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I’m even more jealous of you now, that’s pretty incredible that you’ve met him a few times and that you have a couple of autographs from the legend. Anyway, I’m going way off topic here, so let’s get back about crying about sports.
yeah, You don't want in infraction now, do you?:lol:;)

It's only because of my dad and grandfather that I met him and had the opportunity for him to sign a few items.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5
thealigator Movies & TV 9
wooly Movies & TV 7
sunrise General Discussion 18
Stegosaurus Bathroom Wall 0