• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Crying during Films

thealigator

Registered Member
In the last few years my cinema viewing has changed dramatically. From watching and enjoying films like Last house of the Left, I Spit on your Grave and Saw I have since gone to watch films like The Fault in our Stars, My Sisters Keeper & Me, Earl and the Dying Girl, quite a shift I think you would agree.

What has changed for me is how emotional I have become. I have always been a rather emotional person but over the last few years it has increased. Almost anything will set me off crying including and not limited to TV adverts. I am really not joking. In a way I think having these emotional releases (I hate the phrase "out burst" as it sounds like it is implying someone is crazy) is a good thing, it releases something inside me and honestly I have got to the point where despite being man and I am meant to "have a stiff upper lip old boy" I will let my lip wobble, the tears stream and basically just have a jolly good cry, Mock me if you will but I think it is healthy.

How do you feel though and how are your reactions?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If its a real tearjerker I will shed a few. I think shedding a few tears just shows you have compassion.

I'll also cry if I see someone else crying if I know why they are crying.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I'm in no position to judge anyone on that matter. I instantly tear up whenever I see a girl crying in a scene on TV or movie for whatever reason.

However, it's kinda funny because I've been raised in a household where it was uncomfortable for men to express their feelings and be sensitive. Not because me & my 2 brothers weren't allowed or encouraged to but because my dad was raised in that environment. I swear in my almost 35 years on this Earth, I've never seen him cry once, not even when one of his closest friends suddenly died of a brain aneuryism more than 10 years ago. On the other side of the spectrum, his father, my grandfather is growing more emotional as time goes by. Every year, on New Year's Day, he gives us his blessing for the upcoming year and he often struggles to finish without tearing up. He cried like a baby last year on Christmas Eve when we thought my grandma had literally died all in front of us. It just made me put things in perspective that whether it's while watching a movie or simply expressing & sharing frustrations, we should never feel ashamed of showing our emotions.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
In recent memory, I've only loss control of my emotions to Marley and me, while on a date with my now wife. The whole point of the movie is
to fall in love with the dog, and then boom, waterfalls. But recently, I haven't seen a tear jerker, but rather a few "choked up" flicks

Last edited by a moderator:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm a real emotional guy. Doesn't take much for me to start crying during a movie. I think the one I cried watching a movie was Brian's Song. I couldn't stop crying watching that film.

Konshentz

Konshentz
It doesn't happen all that often, but I'm definitely not immune to it. Off the top of my head... John Q, 50/50 and Straight Outta Compton have made me shed a tear.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I cry heaps during movies, sometimes in TV shows too. I actually enjoy it when a movie is powerful enough to make me cry.

I do admit though, I tend to cry freely when I watch movies on my own. When I am watching them with people, even if tears are close I try hold them back. I don't really know why it's an issue for me but I guess I don't like crying in front of people.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm with @StroShow.... Marley & Me wrecks me every single time so I avoid watching it all together. As someone who has 3 furbabies of her own, that ending hits me REALLY hard. Another movie that I refuse to watch is I Am Legend. The scene with the dog makes me tear up. Bambi, still to this day, makes me cry in the fetal position. Actually, you know what, any movie with an animal dying will most likely make me cry.

Oh and Philadelphia. It's my favorite movie of all time and the ending always leaves me a big blubbering mess.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm with @StroShow.... Marley & Me wrecks me every single time so I avoid watching it all together. As someone who has 3 furbabies of her own, that ending hits me REALLY hard. Another movie that I refuse to watch is I Am Legend. The scene with the dog makes me tear up. Bambi, still to this day, makes me cry in the fetal position. Actually, you know what, any movie with an animal dying will most likely make me cry.

Oh and Philadelphia. It's my favorite movie of all time and the ending always leaves me a big blubbering mess.
The ending of I Am Legend got to me, too. Couldn’t handle it. I get pretty emotional with a lot of movies, can’t control it, but ones with dogs and no happy endings get me going good.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I cry. Even if watch them several times or years after, the same scenes make me cry! Dead Poets Society, Sense and Sensibility, Bridges of Madison County...‎

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5
wooly Movies & TV 7
sunrise General Discussion 18
Stegosaurus Bathroom Wall 0
Millz Sports 10