Crosby New Captain Of Pens

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/2517.0.php

I think it was only a matter of time before they finally admitted to putting their eggs in the basket and this is the final move to do so. The Pens as good as they are and should be over the next few years don't have a lot of experience on the team so might as well give the youngster the only thing he needs from the team right now. I think its a good and bad thing to do this. Good because its Crosby but I mean when can you basically rely on a youngster to be the leader of the team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This was an obvious move, he's one of the best player in the league, and I now believe that his teamates now trust him, and I believe that he's going to be a good captain because he loves the games, and he's a fierce competetor.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
And he has proved himself to be a real MVP of the league in his short time. He is not greedy with the puck and he really makes the people around him better. With the Pens being such a young team this was a good move in a sense and as they go into the future I think this will go a long way in determining whether or not Crosby will be back for another season next year or not.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I dont like Crosby a whole lot, but I do believe he's one of the greatest players in the league. But I don't think he's the best just yet. Also he has to stop complaining, and he has to stop diving and stop over reacting each time he gets hit hard. Because right now he's known has a diver and a whiner which is not good. Yes he's still young, but he has to learn that he's not playing with real men, and he's going to get hit hard, I know some players take liberty of giving him cheap shots and stuff, but he has to learn that's part of the game, it's just a tactic to get him off his game, and at times it worked.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I hate the fact that whenever he gets a high stick from a guy the first thing he does is over use it and try to get the refs to call something. Man he is in the NHL and he can't take a little hit to the face. Wow , I think he needs to go get a full face mask. While he is good and everything he has a lot of developing to do. He is said to be the next Gretzky and really I don't see that yet. As good as he has been he has not been a Gretzky type player and I think that he won't be able to live up to the hype quite as people had hoped or wanted from the kid.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate it when people say well this guy is the next Gretzky or something of that nature. There's going to be a lot of players that are going to come in this league, and have remarkable seasons, but personally I dont think there's going to be another Gretzky. Players that play the game right now have difficulty scoring 50 goals there's no way they'll be close to 92 goals, and some players have trouble reaching 100 points, there's no way there reaching 200. Crosby is still young and if he's healthy he'll be known has one of the best players to ever play the game, but the greatest I dont think so.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
With the way the game is played today there is almost no room anymore for that Gretzky type player. Crosby is young and has a great chance to be one of the best of all time , But he won't be the best or even second best. Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky will be the two best of all time in my view. With that being said a lot of people think well are more so convinced that since Crosby has so much hype that he will develop into a great player in this league and that stereotype could be false. I mean we've seen the Eric Lindros's of the NHL and we've seen worse examples of people not exactly living to their hype but Crosby is expected to be the one that puts them all back on track. Sorry but he has done nothing yet to really show me that he's better then Gretzky. Sure he's only been around a couple years , But how long was Gretzky around before he was a huge star?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Gretzky came a superstar in his first year, he scored 137 points in his rookie season, and then he didn't score under 150 points in the next seven seasons, and during those years he scored.

-164 points
-212 Points
-196 points
-205 points
-208 points
-215 points
-183 points

During those years he never had one year under 50 goals, he had seasons with:

-55 goals
-92 goals
-71 goals
-87 goals
-73 goals
-52 goals
-62 goals

Those stats are simply amazing, and I don't see anyone even reaching those stats. Not even Crosby. So to answer your question he became a star right away.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Exactly. Are the numbers between the two in anyway really close? No not really. Gretzky at this stage of his career was much better then Crosby and I don't think anybody can say that Crosby is going to be the next Gretzky because if you think about it , It was Gretzky who helped to put hockey on the map in a lot of cities. In LA and Edmonton even he came in and took over the two cities and made them true hockey towns. He had more skill then everybody of his time and nobody will ever dominate the way he did.

S

Slippery Jim

Well, i haven't seen much of Crosby, bacause I only have CBC for a hockey channel and during the regular season, they only have 2 games on every Saturday night, but i definitely know how good he is, but i can't relate on the over-reaction thing.
Anyway, Crosby obviously has a super skill in this game, and who knows how many points he'll rake up in his career? But not as much as Gretzky. He finished with 894 goals and 1963 assists for a total of 2857 points and Crosby will not reach that, nor anybody else (or at least not anytime soon), so "the kid" doesn't deserve the title "the great one," but maybe "the next one," because he is a skilled young player who isn't known completely as a scorer (like Ovechkin), he has more assists on the scoreboard, kinda like Gretzky, but he is not going to be known as a complete goal-scorer anytime soon. Gretzky, even though he broke the record for most goals in a season, had more assists than double his goals. So if Crosby keeps getting goals like he is now and plays at least 20 seasons, then he will probably finish with something like 600-650 goals in his career. So when people call him "the next Gretzky," they know that he will not reach the heights that Gretzky did, but know that he is simply a skilled young Canadian player who knows how to score and get points, while helping his team point and rank-wise in the standings.