• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cricket Discussion thread.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
To the 3 or 4 cricket lovers on the forum, here's a place where we can talk about Upcoming matches and what not.

If you don't like cricket, don't waste our time with some idiotic post. Vegito and Swift, that means you:nod::D

well, first off, who do you think is going to win the last test between Aussie and South Africa? And if Aussie lose, how long do you think south Africa will be on the top for?

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Aussies I think will make a come back, but is South Africa win they wont be up there for long I think.

Also what do you think about the new day/night test matches? I think it is silly :S

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Throughout the series, I've been calling Australia to win, and I still will be, can't lose faith at my team, but I hope that they win this Test, they can't save the series, but what they can do is play for pride, show us that they still mean business and their killer instinct is still there.

We don't have anything better to do in the Sydney Test but play for pride and hopefully that Andrew McDonald's addition to the team can change us around, give us more chance and hope.

We are good, but we choke early and get into trouble and we don't know how to get out of it. Look at the Melbourne Test, we posted a huge score, it was good, but what ****ed us up, was their batting in the first innings, we let their tailenders score 100 runs between each other.

We still have a un-expierenced side at the moment, which means our elders, like Hussey & Hayden need to step up more. Also, tomorrow Bollinger is getting a go instead of Hilfenhaus, and I really want Hilfo to make his debut. :(

It's a bit annoying that while Australia were winning, when the old era was still here, all Ponting had to do is set the field and the rest, while the team did their thing and no one complained, now we are losing, and everybody is calling for his head. Give him a break, the team is redeveloping currently, soon we are going to be the best again.

I've said it before and I am going to say it again, I am afraid to say that this will be his best innings ever, I give all the credit to him after today's play leading Saffas from disaster to a great end to the day, he demolished our already demolished bowlers, which is a easy thing to do nowdays anyways. But it's too early to call him a 'super star', this is his second Test and way way early to say, when he plays 20 or so matches, I'll come back and if he does well, maybe then he'll be considered as a superstar, he is Hussey like actually.

Now, focusing on other cricket.

It's good to see Bangaladesh playing good cricket these days, they'll be good one day, but this is just the start of their dominating side, but to see a side that always got out on under 200, score a booster 400+ against Sri Lanka is amazing effort. Top stuff. (Geez, the Lankan bowlers can't be that shit now, can they :p) They are going to be good one day, they beat New Zealand in the first Test, and came close in the next two but failed to clinch the victory.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
Aussies I think will make a come back, but is South Africa win they wont be up there for long I think.

Also what do you think about the new day/night test matches? I think it is silly :S
The only problem with the Aussie Team i that it's pretty inexperienced. Mainly the bowling. You guys have lost Gilly, Warne, Mcgrath and pretty much lost Haydon and Lee. Then in three years time Ponting, Clark, Symonds, Lee, Hussey will all be around 36. Australia don't seem to like to drop players very quickly, so then Australia will suffer another big hit with those three retiring.

Australai will always be a dominant force in cricket, but I don't see them being number one for much longer, and I don't think they will regain it for a few years.

I'm not a fan of Day/night Test matches either to be honest.
Aleks said:
We don't have anything better to do in the Sydney Test but play for pride and hopefully that Andrew McDonald's addition to the team can change us around, give us more chance and hope.
What's this Mcdonald guy like? I had a look at his stats and he looks pretty solid, I look forward to seeing him debut. I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer Wotto in there but he's injured(again:shake:)
Aleks said:
It's a bit annoying that while Australia were winning, when the old era was still here, all Ponting had to do is set the field and the rest, while the team did their thing and no one complained, now we are losing, and everybody is calling for his head. Give him a break, the team is redeveloping currently, soon we are going to be the best again.
Media is fickle. This sort of thing always happens. All Ponting can do is keep playing his best and Scoring Centuries. Which he does bloody well. The thing is about Ponting is that everyone was calling him the best captain ever because he was winning matches constantly. Not taking anything away from his captaincy, but when you have McGrath, Warne, Dizzy Gillespie etc in your team, it's not hard to destroy batting attacks.

I've said it before and I am going to say it again, I am afraid to say that this will be his best innings ever, I give all the credit to him after today's play leading Saffas from disaster to a great end to the day, he demolished our already demolished bowlers, which is a easy thing to do now days any ways. But it's too early to call him a 'super star', this is his second Test and way early to say, when he plays 20 or so matches, I'll come back and if he does well, maybe then he'll be considered as a superstar, he is Hussey like actually.
Who's this? J.P Duminy? I'm not sure about that, I rate him very highly.
Now, focusing on other cricket.

It's good to see Bangaladesh playing good cricket these days, they'll be good one day, but this is just the start of their dominating side, but to see a side that always got out on under 200, score a booster 400+ against Sri Lanka is amazing effort. Top stuff. (Geez, the Lankan bowlers can't be that shit now, can they :p) They are going to be good one day, they beat New Zealand in the first Test, and came close in the next two but failed to clinch the victory.
You mean ODI? We won the tests:nod:

Anyway. Bangladesh might be on the road to becoming a solid test nation. They gave NZ and Sri Lanka a run for their money, just struggled to finish them off. Especially in the NZ case. How good is this Shakib Al Hasan looking? Could be one of the best all rounders if he develops well.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Yeah, it's quite depressing about the whole Watson saga because I really wanted him to replace Symonds in the third Test, days before the Test, he gets injured, this bloke is really unlucky though, I think it's safe to say that he'll retire anytime soon and I don't expect him to be in the either Test or ODI squad for Australia ever again.

What can I say about Andrew McDonald, pretty handy all-rounder actually, his batting does most of the talk, and I hope for the sake of it, he shines with the bat today, or even with the ball. He is solid, true that.

As for the idea of introducing night Tests, I think it's a pretty solid idea because it gives us longer time to watch the cricket on the telly and the low part of this is that the light varies from time to time, but then again they should leave it as before, ODI for Night games, Tests for Day games.

What I meant for the Bangaladesh is that they won the first Test, but didn't manage to get hold of the next two, or was it the ODI? I don't clearly remember.

The only problem with the Aussie Team i that it's pretty inexperienced. Mainly the bowling. You guys have lost Gilly, Warne, Mcgrath and pretty much lost Haydon and Lee. Then in three years time Ponting, Clark, Symonds, Lee, Hussey will all be around 36. Australia don't seem to like to drop players very quickly, so then Australia will suffer another big hit with those three retiring.

Australai will always be a dominant force in cricket, but I don't see them being number one for much longer, and I don't think they will regain it for a few years.
Good call, and that's EXACTLY why Hayden should be dropped or forced to retire if Australia wants to be one of the best in the world, younger blokes should be given a go before him before it's too late. You've got Rogers out there, even Jacques waiting for a go, but yeah the Australian selectors don't have the guts to drop a legend like Hayden.

Michael Hussey is facing the first blip in his career, it's gonna be entertaining to see how is he going to get himself out of this. Ah, that's what cricket is all about I guess.

The Third Test has started in Sydney just before, with Australia 0/49. Fingers crossed that Matthew Hayden doesn't play a silly shot and gets himself out, he need to perform here, like really needs to and so does Michael Hussey.

Katich just got caught at the slips on 47 of 52 balls, nice and easy catch by De Villiers and splendid bowling by Jacques. Ponting the new man in, and I hope he gets a ton here. :p

I spoke too soon, Ponting gone for a golden duck, that's his third in career, second in the series, caught by Boucher, bowled by Morkel, Hussey the new man in. Looking at the replies, the bowl didn't even connect with the bat, poor form Billy, poor form mate.

Hayden gone, it was a full ball, he played a silly shot and chopped the bat and the ball wrecked his stumps, credit goes to Steyn for a good delivery, awesome one. The bloke is a gun. Hayden gone for 31 by the way, Hussey & him had a 46 run partnership and now, Clarke is the new man in.

Hussey fell to Harris, got caugh at the slips, Andrew McDonald is out at the crease, he is on 8* at the moment with Clarke on 21*. Australia is 4/153. That was a nice bouncer from Morkel, knocked McDonald's helmet off.

In other cricket matches, Bangaladesh started pretty awesome against Sri Lanka, Bangas are bowling and Sri Lanka is on 2/12. Mortaza took both wickets.

West Indies & New Zealand match with NZ on 26/1 at Tea, shame rain pretty much rained out the whole day, looked like a promising game.

Last edited:

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
Windies Beat New Zealand :( Vettori had a terrible Captaincy decision and bowled Patel at the death overs, he went for 14. Then Southee got hit around a bit too.

Ausralia are loking in a good position here to avoid he Whitewash. Got Saffies down to 2/131 although itt's basically 3/131 since Smith is out :(

Predictions?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Johnson has been batting well, most of the series our tail has saved us heaps and that partnership between Clarke & Johnson saved us heaps, Hauritz didn't bat bad either, 46 runs too! :p There's some talks on the cricket forums I am on, people want to see Johnson as a all-rounder, when Brett Lee was in the form with the bat, no one called him a all-rounder either. Johnson should stick to his bowling. He is a bowler who happens to be lucky with the bat too.

Bollinger would have taken 5 wickets by now if the slips didn't have those mishaps, he has bowled good, can't complain actually.

Smith has a broken hand, it was a pretty good ball by Johnson that one, but Smith unlucky not to pull out his hand in time.

As for the Windies vs Kiwis match, poor & stupid decision by Vettori.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
Johnson has always been pretty handy with the bat from what I remember. Hardly an all rounder though. That ball from Johnson to break Smiths Finger was really incredible, the way it rose off the seam and Leg Cut(Or was it off cut? Ive forgotten) anyway. I didn't really rate Johnson until this series, but he's really come well. 2 more wickets and Aus should have a healthy lead, assuming that they can cut the tail out.

Kallis only needs 17 more runs to hit 10000 Test Runs

I'm going to the Third ODI between Windies and NZ!:D

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Shame Kallis fell but thank god he didn't get that 10,000 runs against us, both his batting & bowling have been crap this series despite being probably the best all-rounder out there.

That was a pretty good run out by Johnson to De Villiers, well pitched ball and wrecked the stumps & his LBW to Duminy just before, he got him in a trap and gone!

How good was McDonald's wicket, he kept it in a straight line and trapped Amla.

So, the South Africans are 5/199 and I am really worried now that their tailenders will cause us bad trouble, but hopefully they can clean them up fast.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Australia vs New Zealand cricket series 2009 schedule:

01 Feb, 09
Sunday
09:15 AM
Australia
New Zealand
ODI(1/5) Perth,
Australia 06 Feb, 09
Friday
08:15 AM