Create-A-Player

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by icegoat63, Mar 17, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Most all sports and action games have it anymore; and I know me personally I love to utilize this option. Just recently I've been playing Smackdown vs. Raw and I spent about 4 hours customizing my created character. Its almost an obsession anymore when I have the option to create a player.

Now taking into consideration the outcomes of your character are only limited to the options available and your own creativity...

.... how many of you just create yourself?

.... Do you spend substantial time perfecting likenesses to your own standard? (Basically do you tweak it 'till its perfectly you?)

.... For those of you who dont create a version of yourself, who or what is your inspiration?

.... But most importantly, how honest are you? Do you tweak the player stats or do you leave room for improvement? Do you have it reflect your own real life strengths and weaknesses? (ie: in RL I have a great wrist shot but bad slap shot for hockey, so my Created player on the EA NHL games reflects that)

2. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I remember when create-a-player first started getting popular, I use to make myself and a few of my buddies all 99's - an indestructible team that could hardly ever be beaten. But I eventually got over that and now, I take hours just to make it as realistic as possible. If me or one of my friends have a weakness, I drop the number down on that stat. Usually, when I start out in, lets say NHL games, I'm only a 65-70 and just work my way up to the eighties by scoring goals and getting assists. I hate it when people still make all of their created players perfect. It's annoying.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

For College Hoops (2K6 I think) my friend and I created two full teams of created players for us and some of our friends. We tried to give ourselves our true ratings as much as possible while still keeping everything balanced. The games were hilarious to play.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

When the first few games came out that you could customize for yourself I did it a bit, but now on I just do a ruff one and if he or she looks alright i"m fine with it.

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

That is fun, when you have a team or two made up of nothing but you and your friends created players. I've done that with football and hockey.

6. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

In FIFA 2009, I made a player and registered it as myself and I made it the best player in the whole game, the ratings were 99. The guy is a gun! :p

7. icegoat63

Same deal with myself, I used to make the players maxed out but that got to easy. I think it was around NHL 03 or so when I gave up on maxing 'em and just decided to start off pretty bare, 65's-70 with a maxed out potential. Then it usually takes about 4-5 seasons to get 'em in the 90's but at least they'd earned it ;).

I spend tons of time, to much actually when it comes to customizing them. Especially lately with games like MLB The Show. I pretty much only played the Road to the Show version of that game and so I spent 100% of the time being me :hah: I definitely wanted it to be a solid representation! In the NHL 09 the create a player isnt as deep, so i got some standard things and came close, same thing though they have the "Be a Pro" mode where you play just yourself.

Then last night I spent about 4 hours working on my character for Smackdown vs. Raw... oh man I put so much time into that. Editing face, clothes, body hair, movements, entrance, moves! I mean theres pretty much nothing that goes left unedited in that game. But thats pretty much the whole reason I bought it!

about 90% of the time I just make myself, however I've been getting bored doing that so I've come up with a few alter ego's to put into play instead. For instance in hockey when I gave up on the Be a Pro mode and started up my dynasty.... I used me as the GM and then used my Alter Ego as the player. This way I didnt have any mental quarrels with "but how can you be a player/gm? I've heard of player/coaches... but player/gm's? are you serious?".

8. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

I think I'm at the point where I'm sick of it and it really needs to be simplified. I recall how there would be CAW's I would make on Smackdown vs Raw that would take up to three hours to complete on whole, the first few times you don't mind but eventually it just becomes tedious and you feel like you're wasting your own time. On a board I used to post on I had kids who talked about how much they loved Rock Band just because of the character creation as if it was the shining achievement of the game and it blew my mind. I don't know about anybody else but when I'm playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero since World Tour incorporated a character creation feature I'm not really focusing on your created character or anything else that's going on onstage, I'm paying attention to whatever notes are coming down the screen.

I understand that we're in a creative era in gaming, Little Big Planet being the standout proof of that though I still have yet to play it, but I think create a character options either need to be simplified (which I honestly don't see happening) or there needs to be some kind of in game incentive for it, maybe that would rekindle my interest. I won't call it a complete waste of time as is either, but it's just not a major factor in my gaming.

9. icegoat63

Little Big Planet is a great example, when it comes to how much time I've spent in the create-a-world mode for that game...... hours are meaningless, Im thinking days is a better form of measurement for that one. And you know what its great! The boundaries are practically limitless and thats what makes it so grand.

I disagree about them being to complicated, heck I'd be for even more options! Ive always dug the games that incorporate "layers" when it comes to editing. That way for creating designs Imnever just stuck with one template! But then again I always make an effort in creating stuff, for instance I literally decide ahead of time that I wanna make a new player or something and so I'll look forward to it all day. Seems like if it were simplified then it would have a real bottle rocket effect to me. Nice and fun while it lasted but so short I wont remember it.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I never make them look like myself.

If their is a female option I usually build my kind a lady! Much better on the eye if you have to stare at the character for hour after hour to make it something worth looking at.

In one of the Pro Evo Soccer games I created a dream team made up of characters like Jesus as the striker, Santa claus in centre-back, Superman was in goal, I think Bob Marley was on the wing. There was some really odd ones aswell, characters where I'd max all the settings(height, weight, girth, legs, etc).

I make weird characters more often than not. My Tony Hawks character was called "crack whore" and her attire was approriate to her name.

I dont take as much pleasure in this feature any more, maybe 10 mins max before playing the game.