Crawford AND Longoria go to DL

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
This sucks!

Rays placed third baseman Evan Longoria on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to August 8, with a fractured right wrist.

Longoria was hit by a J.J. Putz pitch Thursday and the Rays initially diagnosed the injury as a bruise when X-rays immediately afterward showed no major damage. As recently as Sunday afternoon Longoria said that he was feeling better and hoped to avoid the disabled list, but apparently further testing revealed a fracture that will sideline the AL's leading Rookie of the Year candidate for at least two weeks and potentially puts his season at risk. Willy Aybar will likely see most of the action at third base for the suddenly banged-up Rays
Rays placed outfielder Carl Crawford on the 15-day disabled list with a right hand injury.

Crawford said he felt a pop in his hand during his final at-bat of Saturday's game. If he has ligament damage, then he could miss at least a month and possibly the rest of the season. Right now, he's optimistic that he'll be back when his 15 days are up. Gabe Gross will be a regular outfielder for now. Rocco Baldelli was activated in Crawford's place and will also see considerable playing time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is bad news for the Rays, Longoria and Crawford are both two of there best players. The other offensive players will need to step up because both of those players drove in a lot of runs, and always seem to be on base. Should be interesting to see if they'll be able to keep the lead in the AL East.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
For sure...

Thankfully the Rays just got Baldelli back...be interesting to see if they can stay afloat.

If they survive this they probably will win the division.

Maybe.
------
Crawford done until playoffs it appears....

Carl Crawford will undergo surgery to repair the torn tendon band in his right hand.

He'll likely miss the rest of the regular season, although the team feels he could return for the last couple of games. It's a big loss for the Rays, who could look at Kenny Lofton or even (dare we mention) Barry Bonds for depth in the outfield. For now, they'll platoon Eric Hinske and Justin Ruggiano

Last edited: