• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Craigslist Laptop Scammer

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
A friend of mine almost got scammed yesterday for a lot more money yesterday. He bought a "laptop" off of craigslist for $1,300. Well the guy turned out to have "moved to England", but, no worries, he was willing to use the shipping company TNT to escrow the item. Apparently he wouldn't get the money until my friend told TNT to release the funds.

Well the guy set up a fake TNT looking website and sent an email to this guy from it saying that their server was down at the moment, but that he could still send the payment to their "TNT Agent" in the UK, who would then take care of the rest of the process for him. Western Union of course..

Well, after sending the money... he got suspicious that he had been had and asked me to look into this. I did some research and found that this guy was selling laptops in cities all over the US with the same description, same too good to be true price (should have been around $2,000+).

So, we were able to find out how to cancel the money, since the guy hadn't picked it up yet at his local Western Union. Funny thing is that this guy ended up paying $97 in transfer fees to Western Union to essentially send $1,300 to England and back. After doing some more research on the subject, we found out that almost 100% of craigslist listings that require payment via wire transfer or Western Union (or any other unprotected payment methods) are scams.

This could have ended up a lot worse. Hopefully everybody here who buys items from people on craigslist will be a little more careful when buying items that seem too good to be true.

Gwiz

Registered Member
Ypu're friend is very lucky to get his money back. I think there's a disclaimer on Craigslist stating that money wire transfer are usually scams and you should be very wary about it. Always do your transaction locally and always take cash. I think a lot of people know about this and they are tryiing to get smarter in terms of ripping people off.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I saw his add yesterday and was going to post it here but he got the boot from the Charlotte craigs list.

There others selling bogus Xboxes on there too. You meet them and pay them cash and they will try to leave imedately and not let you open the box to inspect the item. Well the reason why is ther box is filled with trash and bricks to make it weigh just like a new one in the box.

There has been 2 news reporst about scammers on craigs list.

The old saying comes to mind, If it's to good to be true then it is a scam
and you get what you pay for..

Sometimes it's just better to go to the retail store and purchase those big ticket items there and not over the net.

As long as there are ppl who are looking for a way cheap deal there will always be scammers too.

If I can find the add i'll post it here.

Catch ya later

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here it is:

15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz / 4Gb RAM/ Vista Ultimate - $1300

The computer you are looking at is a used 15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, with 4Gb of RAM. I purchased this from a college student who wanted the money more than the gift. I am also including Windows Vista Ultimate. I will install Parallels or VMware so you can install the Windows Vista Ultimate, it can also be installed via Bootcamp. There is additional software currently installed, that can be left on the hard drive, or I can wipe it out. Please email for details. I am also including an Apple wired Mighty Mouse and the receipt. It has been fully checked out and is running great. This is the newest Macbook Pro available!

I am also including an Incase Nylon Sling pack, the color is black. The retail value is $89.

15.4-inch: 2.4GHz

15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 by 900 resolution, LED TFT widescreen

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI

160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, and ExpressCard/34 slot

Built-in iSight camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)

Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone

Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Apple Remote; full-size, illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor scrolling trackpad

5.4 pounds

14.1 by 9.6 by 1 inch

DVI to VGA adapter included

85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

Bluetooth 2.0 built in

Model # A1226

Included Software:

Safari 2

Mail 2

Address Book 4

iChat AV 3

iCal 2

Font Book 2

DVD Player 4.5

Preview 3

Xcode 2

iLife '06

iWork '06 Trial

Front Row

Photo Booth

Comic Life

OmniOutliner
I agree about paying retail. I've lost money before on scams as well. I once paid $600 for a new video card on eBay only to have the guy stall for 30 days (saying it was a pre-order) and then leave the country (apparently). He had thousands of positive feedbacks at close to $100% so I thought I had nothing to worry about. Well it turns out he had fallen victim to a phishing scam and had his account password stolen. :(

Goes to show that even good feedback on eBay isn't a guarantee anymore. If it sounds to good to be true, it really is almost always a scam. The times that it's not a scam, you should make sure you do everything on a credit card (not even through PayPal) so you can file a charge back if anything goes wrong.

I'd rather pay more money and have the item than pay less and have nothing. :)

califbob

Registered Member
Never buy anything from CL without arranging for a face-to-face meeting between the buyer and seller. If the deal sounds too good to be true, chances are it is --- or it's stolen!

dDave

V.I.P.
Wow, I would never trust somebody to honestly transfer my money I would definitely do it through TNT and make sure that the too good to be true price was legitimate and the guy wasn't trying to scam me.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
You don't have to do much research to find this warning about scams like this. It states in bold yellow font at the top of almost every page on the website that says "Beware any deal involving Western Union, wire transfer...
It's the first one!