Cracking Eggs And Other Cooking Mishaps?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok, have you ever had a bad experience while trying to cook something? Recently I was making some eggs and went to crack them on the side of the frying pan as I always do... well I slipped and long story short, egg was all over the stove. :shake:

Ever since then I have used a bowl when cracking eggs. I guess "professional chef" is still a ways off for me. :lol:

So what about you? What are some of your cooking mishaps?

Twitch

Registered Member
I can only make a few different things. I got corn beef hash all over my stove one time, but that's pretty much it.

I've been pretty lucky.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I like to think that my cooking abilities are above average. The worst I'll get usually is just an egg shell in my scrambles once in a blue moon. I'm down with the one handed cracking and everything!

However now that I think about it... I made a mess last week when I was stirring my Cheesecake pudding. I got bored using a spoon so I grabbed the blender... put it in and bam! Cheesecake Pudding all over the walls. It was an epic mistake, one I shouldnt have made but I had got lazy and wanted my damn pudding nao!

Prior to that one I hadnt gotten any kind of batter splatter like that all over the place in a long long time :hah:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
One time I used a frying pan for frying.

Unfortunately, Teflon apparently hates rather high temperatures and makes a nauseating, smoky mess; I had to have the windows open for hours. As a sidenote, once I'm out and on my own, I'll be purchasing cast iron cookware only. Even if it means a little extra work. (apparently Teflon not only sucks, but is incredibly bad for you too)

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I once put a dish in the oven, not realised that the knob on the lid was plastic. It melted everywhere and smelt really disgusting. For a few days after, whenever I turned the oven on, all I smelt was burnt plastic

Lemonv1

Registered Member
First user apart from Hybrix to post on this thread lol

I'm terrible at eggs too. I have to do them in a seperate bowl, and I'll probably still get it wrong and somehow everything just explodes.
Also with pancakes, I tend to miss, so once one set on fire a bit

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
One time I used a frying pan for frying.

Unfortunately, Teflon apparently hates rather high temperatures and makes a nauseating, smoky mess; I had to have the windows open for hours. As a sidenote, once I'm out and on my own, I'll be purchasing cast iron cookware only. Even if it means a little extra work. (apparently Teflon not only sucks, but is incredibly bad for you too)

I don't know, I rather like teflon. Just don't cook it at so high of a heat. If you're going to go with cast iron, every time you use it and wash it, you have to do a slight layer of vegetable oil on the outside. Or some kind of pam spray. This keeps them from rusting, as they do that pretty easily. My mom is always complaining. I've never had a teflon pan burn on me. Mind you, my frying pan was stainless steel or something like that =P

I have a lot of cooking mishaps. The most memorable one was when I dropped a sizzling frying pan at my feet. Not sure what I did, but I knocked the handle the wrong way while reaching for the butter or something. It spun and slid to the edge of the stove and tipped off. I managed to jump back fast enough to avoid getting burnt, but sizzling egg and other random stuff I'd thrown in was all over the floor. This angered me greatly because at the time, I was dirt poor as far as finances went. This was like the last of my food till payday in 2 days, and so it was supposed to last, and here I'd just dropped it on the dirty kitchen floor. (My floors were never clean enough to eat off of). That was a huge mishap. (At least I didn't have to worry about cat food for a couple days).

Fortunately I don't have much experience with cooking mishaps. You can put that down to me rarely cooking anything, if you like. :lol: Though whenever I try to pour things into a pan it goes everywhere apart from the actual pan. I'm actually pretty good with eggs considering I don't eat them myself, but I used to make cakes a lot with my grandma when I was little so I suppose that's where that comes from.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I have too many but it's part of the experimental cooking experience.

I crack eggs on the table. I used to crack it with a fork or using the side of the bowl, now it's just "boom" on the table and it's ok. :lol:

Ever try to turn your omelet, pancake or crepe using the pan itself? Like flip it? Ha, I have done it and failed several times.

Monroe

Registered Member
I screw up often reading instructions.

Once I cooked instant potatoes, which called for 2 tbsps of salt. Not registering it correctly, I put in 2 cups. It was absolutely disgusting.