• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Crackdown on diving

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
VANCOUVER - Colin Campbell is tired of seeing his officials embarrassed by players throughout these NHL playoffs and isn’t going to stand for it any more.

Due to the increasing number of players diving and embellishing throughout these playoffs, Campbell and director of officiating Terry Gregson have instructed officials to crack down on players who snap their heads back to sell a call.
Teams and players have been warned to cut it out or referees will be handing out diving calls as well as “two and twos,” tagging both the victim and the perpetrator.
While diving generally increases in the post-season, what complicates the issue this year is the heightened desire to protect players from head-shots, leading players to prey on this and act as if anything coming close to their noggin makes contact, a la Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo and teammate Maxim Lapierre.
“Diving is increased in the playoffs as the stakes are higher, and when players get desperate, they take their credibility and their honour and they throw it out the window,” the NHL’s VP of Hockey Operations said Saturday.
“Through our supervisors, we warned all the teams not to embellish. It’s becoming rampant, and we’re going to start calling it. We’ll ramp it up next round. You may not like it, but we’ll point out the guys who we feel will embellish calls.”
It harkens back a handful of years when the league issued the list of known divers, which was aborted, since GMs hated it.
NHL exec says officials won?t stand for diving | Hockey | Sports | Winnipeg Sun

I saw this the other day on tv as well. The commentators were talking about the officials watching for dives and embellishments meant to draw the penalty.

I agree when they say it embarasses the officials. Also, its really against the spirit of the crackdown on headshots. How are officials supposed to protect the true dangerous headshots if every player is trying to make every hit look like a bad headshot. It is the playoffs, so players get desperate, but I think that's a dishonourable way of going about it. Kudos to the refs for watching for it. Shame on the players for trying it.

Your thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Players have became better at selling the dive in recent years. A lot of times it's really a hard call on whether he was really tripped up or he dove to get the call. I think Campbell should worry on other things then this to be honest with you. He's tired that his referrees are getting emberassed, well people are tired of him and his inconsistency when it comes to suspensions.

You do your job and let the refs do there's. I know they make a lot of mistakes, and trust me, I've yelled a few times because of bad calls. But this is a fast game, and they won't catch everything.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah, I see what you're saying. However, I'd hate to see hockey turn out like soccer, with all the players flopping around like fish anytime an opposing player touches them. I realize every player wants their team to get a powerplay, but the point of the powerplay is to discourage teams from getting penalties, not encourage players to do everything to draw them. It's hard to respect players that do the starfish flop.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you Smel. The thing is that these players want to win the Stanley Cup and they'll do almost anything to get the edge. Don't get me wrong, I hate players that dive, it's bush move to do in my opinion, but I do understand why they do it. I'm just a firm believer that Campbell should worry about other things and leave the zebras do there jobs, they're the best in the world at it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure he'd love to crackdown on dives but like has been mentioned its not easy to detect it. I would just focus on making sure you do penalize those players when it is obvious but there's no reason to waste too much time on this. I don't think it'll stop players from doing it if they think they can get away with it.