Courtroom Bibles

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ChinUp, Mar 24, 2007.

?

Does the Bible belong in courts of law ?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. ChinUp

ChinUp ยค Breathe

Does it belong in your opinion ? Are our courts really secular ?

2. pikatore

pikatore Registered Member

It DEFINITELY doesn't belong. Having a person from another religion, such as Muslim, to swear on the bible in a court of law is insulting and humiliating, and is just a stupid ass, old fashioned custom that should be removed.

WHO swears on the bible and is actually BOUND to telling the truth? Utterly useless in my opinion.

3. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Religion should be entirely out of human laws.....we aren't divine...

4. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

The constitution should be used, not the bible.

5. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Hell no. The bible is a set of laws voluntarily obeyed if you agree with them. Also, seperation of church and state.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Instead of just blurting out some common response to including religion in another part of government, I'll expand just a bit.

I think that swearing on the bible is pointless. Why? Because it was a way of controlling god-fearing men and women who just knew they were going to hell if they broke an oath made over the bible. So yeah, it's an attempt to keep nothing but the solid truth coming out of someone, but let's be realistic here. People lie for a lot less and religion doesn't play such a big role anymore.

I voted no because it seems to me to be an old tradition that had value when it was first instilled but has none anymore because of the change in times.

7. Factinista

Factinista New Member

I have no problem with keeping the bible in the courtroom based upon traditions, however; it obviously has no lawfull reason to STAY. So I think that if a person chose to they wouldn't have to swear upon it, they would obviously still swear to tell the truth obviously.

8. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

But they can request a Quran/other religious text, no?

9. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

The problem arises when someone like myself refuses. If a mostly Christian Jury saw me deny the Bible... I'd be fucked.

10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I think you knew exactly what type of response you were going to get when you made this thread. Heh.

The thing is, the Bible was perfectly adapted fr the courthouse in the times of the 50's and 60's when the athiest communiests were going to steal away our country. Christianity used to be a point of identity of America to stand with against countries that were communist.

Now, however, the US is becoming more marked by it's differences than it's unities. Swearing on a religious object is rather pointless in this day and age. Religion isn't thought of as highly as it once was, and it truly is just a tired out tradition.

Perhaps they should swear on the Consitution, or how about just sign a paper stating that all testimony given is 100% accurate (truthful) and have them put their hand on it and swear on that.