• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Court Halts Detaining Asylum Seekers

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(Reuters) - A federal court on Friday temporarily halted the Obama administration policy of detaining mothers and children seeking asylum in the United States.

Court temporarily halts U.S. policy of detaining asylum-seeking mothers, children | Reuters
The problem with this is anyone can claim they are escaping violence in their home country, true or not, all they have to do is claim that and they know it. Then they are let loose to disappear into cities before we know anything about them. I think that is stupid. I'm not sure escaping violence is reason enough to let them stay since so many countries throughout the world is full of violence.

Thoughts?

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
I would be more inclined to believe a woman and child making that claim. Especially when they have travelled far and at grave personal risk doing so to reach America.
(No doubt we've all heard of the numerous ... 'reception committees' a woman can encounter traversing the established immigration routes.)
You've got to be pretty desperate to do that.

Offering sanctuary to those at risk of murder, torture and rape, and those fleeing religious bigotry and persecution, these are things which my country and your country can be justly PROUD of.

I agree the issue of false asylum claims by economic 'refugees' is a problem though and a growing one.
I'm not sure I know what the answer is, or even that there is an answer. They're going to keep coming no matter what.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Offering sanctuary is one thing but not to make sure they are what they say they are is another. Also they are taught what to say and use our system. At some point this is going to have to stop.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
You don't think though that it's the system that is at fault? Both our respective welfare and benefit systems, again, are things we should all be proud of, but in their original concept they were designed as a social 'safety net', because anyone could get sick or be injured and be unable to support themselves.
A fine thing.

Now though many people have been able to turn benefit claiming into a professional career ...

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes the system is at fault. Our politicians let them do this and don't guard the border properly. They think the answer is just to keep giving amnesty then do nothing to fix the problem.

Then we have all these special interest groups that support giving amnesty and the politicians listen to them because it will buy them votes. Don't care about what's good for the country just get those votes.

Welfare is a good thing because people do fall on hard times sometimes but in many states its only extended to those with kids, not the working poor. Which I don't want kids starving. Illegals come across the border to have their anchor babies and immediately start applying for benefits. A lot of the kids that were coming across the border last summer parents were already here. I think this was planned from the beginning. The parents should have been arrested and sent back with the kids. Nope we reunite the kids with their parents. No consequences for breaking our immigration laws. Not fair to immigrants that have to jump through hoops to become a citizen.

This is a little off topic but its not just illegals we have thousands of refugees that I have a feeling are also on welfare. Right now Obama wants to bring more Syrians into the country. Since they don't speak English and many probably are illiterate they will most likely also be put on welfare. Yet people wonder why we have so many people on welfare. I also wonder how many of them are supportive of terrorist groups. I'm sure the UK will be getting some. Maybe I should be starting another thread.

U.S. Congress questions plan to admit Syrian refugees | Reuters

I honestly do feel sorry for people in some of these countries and think we should try to help them in their countries but at some point we need to think about the US first then them. Illegal immigration or refugees by the thousands isn't good for any country.