• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Couple locked in keyless car for 13 hrs.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
According to New Zealand’s Otago Daily Times, a series of unfortunate events led to Alexandra, New Zealand, residents Mollieanne and Brian Smith suffering through a 13-hour-long ordeal in the front seats of their Mazda3 hatchback last month. The couple apparently got into their car without the car’s wireless key fob and somehow managed to lock the doors—and then couldn’t figure out how to get out.

New Zealand couple manages to lock themselves in keyless car for 13 hours | Ars Technica
This is so dumb I don't know what to say. Every car has a way to get out manually. They could have died over their own stupidity. Most people would have started feeling around in the usual places for anything that felt like a door lock and started pushing buttons. Heck most people would have looked the car over well enough to find it when they first bought it.

Thoughts?

dDave

V.I.P.
This is so dumb I don't know what to say. Every car has a way to get out manually. They could have died over their own stupidity. Most people would have started feeling around in the usual places for anything that felt like a door lock and started pushing buttons. Heck most people would have looked the car over well enough to find it when they first bought it.

Thoughts?
Isn't that feature written down in the manual which people usually keep in their... you know... glove box?

Even still, you shouldn't need a manual to figure out how to get out of your car. You should just do it because it's easy.

13 hours just proves stupidity though.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Isn't that feature written down in the manual which people usually keep in their... you know... glove box?

Even still, you shouldn't need a manual to figure out how to get out of your car. You should just do it because it's easy.

13 hours just proves stupidity though.
They were also saying they couldn't see because it was dark but I bet if they had bothered to look in the glove box a light would have come on.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah it was almost tragic but its funny too. Sorry but a car is like a tablet or phone or anything else - read the manual first. Anyway I have a flashlight that can light up a small room and its the same size as a remote. And I have another one thats really bright and its only about 3 inches long. Theres no way they shouldnt have the manual and a flashlight in the car.

Also cars are a lot like gaming. So if theres no manual then you just gotta decide what may work and try it till you learn how things happen. They shoulda tried each switch on the door till it opened. Even in the dark they could still feel around for switches. I mean its not like the car will explode if you press the wrong switch on the door, right?
But that could be really cool for a game.