• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Couple collects welfare while living life of luxury

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Minnesota man who collected food stamps and other public assistance while living on a yacht with his wife pleaded guilty on Monday to two felony charges, prosecutors said.

Minnesota couple admits to collecting welfare while living life of luxury
She only received a year and a day and he may only get 21 months. I think they are getting off too easy for someone that used the tax payers like this. They should at least get twice as much time and pay back every dime including any medical bills that were paid by medicaid and food stamps plus a fine.

Thoughts?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Scum-bags, pure scum-bags in my honest opinion. I am on benefits right now for one reason and another and have been for a few months and I hate it, not just because of trying to find something to do so that I do not go stir crazy but also because I feel bad that people who are in work are paying for me to have assistance and that is what these people were doing. They were taking money literally from the hands that feed and saying "can we have the other one as well?".

In my opinion they should pay back twice what they were paid, giving back what they stole will not alter anything, they should be made an example of and they should face a much tougher sentence. This may sound harsh but they knew what they were doing, they knew it was wrong but did it anyway. Fuck um. I have NO sympathy.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have an ounce of sympathy for these people. They were not only screwing over the tax payers but people that really need help. I think they are getting off way too light. I bet many people would be will to go to prison for a year for the amount of money and benefits they collected. The punishment needs to be harsh enough its not worth it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Welfare is not designed for people in that situation. What kind of person collects welfare when they're doing perfectly fine?

I think that abusing a system like this should have severe penalties. Make the penalties severe on fraud like this and you'll see it happening less.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
People with houses and boats should be getting their money from banks and not from any welfare organization so I dont get why they did that. Its so stupid. I mean banks probaly have more money than any welfoare system and poor people need that money. And even if their bank accounts were low then they could still just call one of their brokers and transfer money from stocks or funds.

Anyway all they are doing is proving everything that people say about new money. The bad rep wont help them or their friends and just makes people more suspicious. They should be forced to pay back the money 10x and they should both go to prison for at least 2 years. And NOT a 5-star prison! They should have to go to a prison where they have to live with poor people so they can learn why they shouldnt steal money from people that need it.