Country Music Thread

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That's right, I'm out of the closet, I like country music. Correction, I like good country music. Don't get me started on my rant about Taylor Twit! lol.

Artists like Clint Black, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Doc Walker. The one's who, although they have love songs, they also right some good thoughful songs as well. I like Johnny Ried as well. He does nice acoustical country.

To be honest, I hate most female country artists. Maybe Reba McEntire is the only one I can stand, and even then, its only some of her lets annoying songs.

Country music nowadays is going down hill. Its going the way of pop and rap, where it's using sex and catchy mindless hooks to sell songs. I stopped listening to the country radio station. I just download stuff by the artists I like.

Any of you guys closet country lovers? (I wonder how many negs I'll get for this thread hehehe)

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Dude, I love country music, but old country music. I agree, a lot of the new stuff really sucks, bad.

I like all those artists you mentioned and of course George Strait. I'm also a huge Hank Williams (the dad) fan.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Ah yes, George Strait. He writes some pretty good music. I've never really listened to Hank Williams very much. Prolly heard the odd song here and there. I might have to give him a listen eventually.

Have you ever listened to Ray Stevens? He does a type of comedic country. His songs are always interesting.
------
Oh, also, I was gonna say.

Any theories as to why so many people think country is garbage? Maybe it's just a stereo type thing. Do they think it's just that twangy, warbly voiced stuff they do in western movies? lol. Maybe some of you Acountriests out there can enlighten us as to why you dislike country so much =P

Last edited:
I am a big fan of country music (mostly the older stuff) and have been since I can remember (thanks to my dad). My favorite artists/bands are George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Willie Nelson, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, and Shenandoah.

There a lot more I didn't list.

I'm not a country fan but I like a few artists here and there in the genre. Loretta Lynn would be one. Johnny Cash is one of my favourite singer-songwriters fullstop, not just in country. I love a lot of his songs and his style.

Haven't given much else a lot of chance.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not a country fan at all, but I have to admit that I do enjoy a few country songs from time to time. I would have to say that favorite country artist is Garth Brooks. I don't really like his "new" stuff but I do enjoy songs that he sang in the 90's.

I'm sure there is a few other songs that I like, but I couldn't tell you the name of them. I only hear them on the radio or from a friend of mine. I'm friends with girls that simply love that type of music.

downeaster

Registered Member
Ah yes, George Strait. He writes some pretty good music. I've never really listened to Hank Williams very much. Prolly heard the odd song here and there. I might have to give him a listen eventually.

Have you ever listened to Ray Stevens? He does a type of comedic country. His songs are always interesting.
------
Oh, also, I was gonna say.

Any theories as to why so many people think country is garbage? Maybe it's just a stereo type thing. Do they think it's just that twangy, warbly voiced stuff they do in western movies? lol. Maybe some of you Acountriests out there can enlighten us as to why you dislike country so much =P

I think you're bang on with your theory. People probably dislike it because of it's hillbilly ways - I happen to embrace being a hillbilly/redneck and love country music, but mostly the older stuff.

I'm going to see Allan Jackson next week and I cannot wait! I also love George Jones, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash.....too many to mention.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I guess I like the "new" country. It's a well-known fact that I have a celebrity crush on Carrie Underwood. :lol: but that doesn't change the fact that she's a good singer. A lot of her singles have a pop/country feel (most likely as a byproduct of American idol), but some of her other songs are pretty country. I also like Faith Hill. She's been around for a while.

There's a good barbeque place I go to that always plays country music over the restaurant speakers. I hardly ever hear songs that I just can't stand. I tend to shy away from the ones that have too heavy of an accent though. Most modern singers don't have that problem.

Also I consider taylor swift more pop than country.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I like both old and new. Garth Brooks is my favorite of all time, but I really am starting to like Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Lady Antebellum counts as country, right?

Dabs

Registered Member
When I was a little girl and my parents traveled all over the states, all we did was listen to country music...and that was back when country, was country!
Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty......Tammy Wynette and George Jones.....and Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner.
And oh yeah, some old guy named Don Williams.......man I hated that stuff!
But I like the newer country music....I enjoy:
Tim McGraw
Faith Hill
Lady Antebellum
Keith Urban
Reba McEntire
Kenny Chesney....his hometown is less than 1 hour from me!
Blake Shelton
Trace Atkins
Carrie Underwood (some of her stuff)
Shania Twain
I guess you could say I like more of the hip-hop country.
I don't care for the real twangy country songs, and I know that's odd, I live close to Nashville~