• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Counters

karenlyn

Registered Member
When you're bidding on an auction, do you pay attention to the visit counters? Does a low count encourage or discourage you from bidding, or neither?

SouthernGal

Registered Member
I pay attention to the counters as well. Low count makes me want to bid because I am more likely to get a good deal!

Now... sometimes, high count makes me want to bid as well. I figure... if everyone else wants it, it MUST be a good deal! :D

But, more times than not, I am more drawn to low count.

hokeshel

Registered Member
I do, if there are a lot of bidders, I know at the last minute it is going to be scooped up. If there are a few, I have a much better chance so, why waste my time?

karenlyn

Registered Member
Yup, I do exactly the same. If there's an auction that I'm not sure about, and I look and see that I'm only the second person to look at it, I'm much more likely to bid, because I'm more sure I can get it for the current low price.

But high counters are tempting, too, for totally different reasons.

Plumley

Registered Member
I don't really pay attention to counters when I'm buying. I believe other people do, so on my own auctions (at another site) I use invisible counters. It's good to know I've been on the right track.

SouthernGal

Registered Member
Ahhh.. an invisible counter! That is way to get rid of the 'counter-watching'. I was perusing Ebay today, and was very aware of how I paid attention to the seller and also to the counter.

I'd like to see what items I would have never bid on if I hadn't seen the counter! :D

karenlyn

Registered Member
Plumley-- invisible counters are a smart idea! That way, if the count is low, people don't realize that they have plenty of time to bid if they want... and if it's high, they don't realize how much competition there might be. Kinda stinky for the buyer, but really smart for the seller.

hemisync

Registered Member
I agree an invisible one would be a lot better, letting browsing people know how much interest is in an item isn't always a good thing

Penguin

Registered Member
I use invisible counters on my auctions... I use Andale's counters. That way *I* know if people are looking, but they don't know I know LOL