• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Could your kettle be spying on you?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(MoneyWatch) In a world where the National Security Agency allegedly monitored the phones of several world leaders and broke into data centers of Google (GOOG) and Yahoo (YHOO), it is easy to forget the more mundane ways consumer privacy is at risk.

Hacked from China: Is your kettle spying on you? - CBS News
Russian TV has reported that your iron or kettle made in China could contain a wireless spy chip that could access your wifi. They also brought up that your computer could be infected by a virus without even being hooked up to a network by emitting a high frequency sound and picked up by your computers mic.

This is a little alarming, I might be worried if I had a mic hooked up to my computer or wifi.

Last edited:

Misdoubt

Registered Member
My... Kettle? Please no sir no I just make tea sir no please no sir please no. ;~;

Neat technology though, seems like something that has probably already been around for years and years though as far as spying goes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It seems like every time you turn around there is a new way to spy on someone. I guess anymore maybe you should take it for granted your TV and other appliances may be watching you or a threat to your computer instead of assuming they aren't.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm wondering if the virus they are talking about in this article have anything to do with the chips in the toasters and irons since both stories originate from Russia.

Somewhere in a Russian computer lab lurks a computer virus so deadly, so indestructible that it can spread even when machines are disconnected from Wi-Fi - or power cables.

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Last edited: