• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Could you date a smoker?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Obviously, this is if you don't smoke yourself. So, as the thread title states, could you ever date smoker? And I'm talking a full-time smoker not just someone that smokes while drinking.

Sabby

There's no way. I mean I've dated girls who were 'non smokers' but then would smoke at bars, or would take it up as a stress reliever. To me it's a disgusting habit. Yes I know people can become addicted, and I am not judging. However for me, there are to many gros things (teeth, smell, skin issues) that can occur when someone smokes. Also, if I'm looking for something long term why would I want to be with someone who is constantly poisoning their body?

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Sabby said:
There's no way. I mean I've dated girls who were 'non smokers' but then would smoke at bars, or would take it up as a stress reliever. To me it's a disgusting habit. Yes I know people can become addicted, and I am not judging. However for me, there are to many gros things (teeth, smell, skin issues) that can occur when someone smokes. Also, if I'm looking for something long term why would I want to be with someone who is constantly poisoning their body?
I never thought about it that way before.

But anyway, the answer for me has always been no. I've always found it to be a major turnoff. There was a time recently when I thought I could be okay with it but I've discovered that it's not something I could live with on a daily basis.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
My dad used to smoke two packs a day and from that day forward I became utterly disgusted by an individual who smokes beside me. I obviously won't judge or actually walk away from them but I would prefer that they didn't. I'm pretty sure that sums up my answer :D.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
It's interesting though, after thinking this over, I don't think anyone in my immediate nor extended family smokes regularly. The only exception is my sister who does so on occasion, but even that's a rarity.

GTAchick78

I definitely could not date a smoker. I have severe allergies as well as asthma, and smoking would be a deal-breaker. I will actually make a comment and move away from smokers who stand too close to me in a store - I know that it is their "right" to smoke, but it cheeses me off that they have zero regard for how it affects others.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
GTAchick78 said:
I definitely could not date a smoker. I have severe allergies as well as asthma, and smoking would be a deal-breaker. I will actually make a comment and move away from smokers who stand too close to me in a store - I know that it is their "right" to smoke, but it cheeses me off that they have zero regard for how it affects others.
They allow people to smoke in stores? :?:

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
I've made the mistake of dating smokers before and well to say that didn't go over well would be an understatement, especially since I'm semi-allergic to cigarette smoke.

LeafsJaysColts

Last time (and first time as well) I did was in 2009 in high school when you really don't spend too much time of the week outside of school with each other if you're dating during the academic year, at my school at least -- and even that amount of time I couldn't handle. I think smokers are more made for other smokers these days. Hell, sometimes they even somehow end up both helping each other to quit or moderate. Maybe with these fancy new vapour cigs or e-cigs or whatever they are stuff like taste and smell will improve but it's still not great IMO