Could the "Goldberg gimmick" work again?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wondering if you guys believe the "Goldberg gimmick" could work again?

I know that they somewhat did it with Lesnar and Lashley, but I mean a wrestler 150 consecutive wins in a row.

Another question to add is this, would you like to see something like that again?

Thoughts?

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I hope not. I hate seeing a wrestler that is unbeatable. Kozlov, Umaga and others were heading in that direction until Triple H stepped in and broke their streak. That's about the only time I'll ever compliment Triple H. Sort of a backhanded one, but meh.

I hate seeing 'Superman' characters. I like when they get beat down to show that they are human. Not to mention the fact that they make every other superstar look like a marshmallow compared to this one guy.

Could it happen again? Of course.
    Do I want to see it happen again? Hell no! =D

3. I agree, Cena is a perfect example. He's made out to be superhuman, he wither wins everything or when he is beaten, it takes more than what it would take to beat a normal person. Like it took Nexus to beat Cena, but somehow he was still able to stand after the match, and get his hands on a chair and could attack them.

I mean really, the WWE plays that gimmick way too much, it's old and lame now. It's something that needs to go away for a while, I would say part of it is b/c of his character gimmick...But I don't think I wanna go there, it'll start an argument about a few things...

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

5. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

My answer to the question is kind of simple, but yes I do think it could work with the right person. As mentioned above, people like Umaga and Kozlov started down that path, and it was convincing enough for me. With the right badass wrestler, fans would definitely buy-in.

As far as the "should" part of a gimmick like this, I'm really not sure!

6. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

I worked with Brock Lesnar, but he did show that he was beatable and that gimmick along with Paul Heyman was classic. I think it will happen again but with the right character and the right gimmick, I didn't like watching Kozlov or Umaga winning all the time while they were in the WWE, Kozlov was horrible and Umaga was good but just got tired of him winning. I don't see anybody that is on the WWE roster right now that would fit this gimmick, but if Samoa Joe defects to the WWE I wouldn't mind seeing him doing the Goldberg gimmick.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you mean your worked with Lesnar?

I hope it happens again, but if Samoa Joe does come to the WWE, hopefully they don't do that with him. He's so overrated it's not funny. If they do end up doing this again, they have to be careful who they choose. Goldberg was the perfect guy to be unbeaten for so many matches.

8. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

The closest thing that came close to a Goldberg gimmick was Brock Lesnar. He started off having a winning streak, and when he lost he would destroy his opponent. Brock Lesnar's gimmick was kind of like Goldberg's but it was modified a whole lot better, when the WWE had decent writers.

I unfortunately think that the Goldberg gimmick will be used again but for the wrong guy, the way the WWE is going now that would not surprise me.

If it happens again, I hope that it is modified like with brock lesnar.

9. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

It should be noted that John Cena was the one who broke Umaga's winning streak and not Triple H. But that's not the point here.

It worked in WCW because they had a three hour show on Mondays, a 2 hour show on Thursdays and another show on Saturday where they could feed Goldberg jobber and crappy wrestler after crappy wrestler for him to destroy.

It COULD work but it would depend on the wrestler and what was going on in the company at that time.