Xbox 360 CORE is not Hardcore

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mirage, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Apparently a majority of the consoles that Microsoft made are the lesser Core versions instead of the Premium..

I still think Core shouldn't have even been an option. It can't go online, and it can't play old XBOX games. There are a lot of people who "settled" for it because they figured it was better than nothing, only to be disappointed later one they really realized what they had done.

I think Microsoft purposely made more Core's than Premium's because now a lot of people are going to have to spend even more money to bring their Core's up to par with the Premiums.

Seriously, if someone told me that a gaming console was going to come out with two versions. A good version, and a version that has good features taken out that can be added later for an additional price... Put me down for $1,000 bet that it would be none other than Microsoft. I think the whole Core concept is messed up and is unfair to gamers.

It's not like comparing a GBA to an SP, where the main difference is either having or not having a backlight. The Core and Premium 360's have a lot of differences. The main being that the Core can't be taken online because it doesn't have a hard drive. Microsoft made them because they knew they would sell because people would rather "settle" for a Core than get nothing at all. They can be made cheaper, and the people will almost all end up upgrading later.

It's Microsoft though, and really I find this very funny, because it's not ironic at all. It's what I expected, but it's one of those things you'd think you would only joke about, but sure enough, they did it. They sold inferior systems knowing full well people would have to upgrade.

Wow.. lol :lol:

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It's all about money, and Microsoft knows they'll be making more money by people buying the Core 360s and upgrading later. Unfortunately there are tons of people out there that aren't as informed about videogames as we are, so they'll see the Core as a bargain. I can't say I feel sorry for them. They should probably do a little research before they spend $300-400 on a console.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yes I know. I don't feel sorry, but Microsoft really shouldn't have done this. It's like selling a DVD player that only works on a CRT TV and not a LCD or HD.

The core can still play DVD's right? If not then that's even more messed up.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't see why it wouldn't play DVDs, unless you need to buy a remote. Does the premium package come with the remote?

Edit: I did a quick check and the premium does in fact come with a remote. Whether you need it to play DVDs, I'm not sure.

5. Yung_Impression

Yung_Impression Registered Member

some people will like the Core System...because its a better price...and all i care about, is that it plays the Xbox 360 games and i'll buy the memory card for it.

i just like the Core System...mostly cuz my connection is slow and Xbox Live will be useless.

6. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

you do not need a remote to play DVDs, it just makes it easier.

and from what i read before, the Core system can go online [ silver member ], but if you want to play online you need to be a gold member. i'm guessing you store your gamercard info on a memorty card if you have a core system.

also remember hearing that on weekends [ not sure if it's all weekends or just selected weekends ] silver members will be able to play online. it's kind of like when they show HBO for free for a week to try to hook other members to buy their service.

7. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

I can see people who just want to play the games getting the core. No one is forcing anyone to buy a core. As for the shipments, they were pretty even here (26p/22c at one walmart, 4p/2c at another).

8. KannonMAK

KannonMAK Registered Member

if there's only 5 units of 360 left and they are all the core. uninformed people will buy the Core and be screwed by their lust just to have one. that's unfair marketing, that's downright criminal to exploit the stupid and greedy.

9. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

How is unfair marketing? Lots of companys make different variations of a product. Look for example the macmini, apple sells one with a dvd-/+rw or one without. If a customer is going to blindly spend a large amount of money without first researching the product, than it is the customers fault not the company. Microsoft is just offering a choice for those that can afford the extra hundred bucks for a premium.

10. Rayzn

Rayzn Registered Member

If Microsoft made only one type of package I think there would of been more to go around on the first shipment. That is the only thing I am dissapointed about the Xbox 360 with. Developers might now feel less obligated to include extra downloadables and take full support over the hard drive since they know not everyone will have one.