Movies Coraline

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Stab-o-Matic5000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Saw this movie the other day and I have to say it was fantastic. If you liked Nightmare Before Christmas chances are good you'll like this, though they're not really the same movie. It doesn't have the overbearing gothy aesthetic that Nightmare did, but it's definitely got a cool dark tone to it, despite being kid-friendly. I'm a little upset that They Might Be Giants only had one song in the movie, but the song was pretty kick ass so I'll forgive it.

Oh, and if you have the chance to see it in 3D, do it. The movie did some really cool things with the 3D without going overboard and looking retarded.

2. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i'm glad to hear that stab...my question is could you tell if it was truly stop-motion animation like Nightmare or was it CGI stop-motion like in Flushed Away?

3. Stab-o-Matic5000

I'm pretty certain it was CGI. It was just far too fluid to be true stop motion. They did do a good job of capturing the clay-mation aesthetic, though.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i thought it might've been CGI. Shame as stop-motion is becoming a lost art.

i'm gonna try to see this, love this kind of stuff and the story looks interesting.

5. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

I thought it was really good. I personally liked it better than Nightmare Before Christmas. The story was very Lovecraftian in nature as well.

6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

according to Gaiman "Everything is created, everything is handmade."

Gaiman Calls Coraline the Strangest Stop-Motion Film Ever | The Underwire from Wired.com

I can't find anything to even hint that it might be CGI.

also, I'm totally watching this Wednesday when I have the chance.

Better report: Neil Gaiman Talks About Coraline - Interview: Coraline Author Discusses Henry Selick's Stop-Motion Movie

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I really want to see this movie. I can't give you an opinion now, because I haven't yet, but it looks really cool.

8. Stab-o-Matic5000

Ah, so they used CGI to cover up imperfections. That makes sense as to why it looked so smooth compared to other stop motion.

9. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

Oya. I need a way to convince my boyfriend to take me.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Tell him that the 3D really kicks ass, because it really does.