Movies Coraline

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Saw this movie the other day and I have to say it was fantastic. If you liked Nightmare Before Christmas chances are good you'll like this, though they're not really the same movie. It doesn't have the overbearing gothy aesthetic that Nightmare did, but it's definitely got a cool dark tone to it, despite being kid-friendly. I'm a little upset that They Might Be Giants only had one song in the movie, but the song was pretty kick ass so I'll forgive it.

Oh, and if you have the chance to see it in 3D, do it. The movie did some really cool things with the 3D without going overboard and looking retarded.

Turbo

Registered Member
i'm glad to hear that stab...my question is could you tell if it was truly stop-motion animation like Nightmare or was it CGI stop-motion like in Flushed Away?

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
i'm glad to hear that stab...my question is could you tell if it was truly stop-motion animation like Nightmare or was it CGI stop-motion like in Flushed Away?
I'm pretty certain it was CGI. It was just far too fluid to be true stop motion. They did do a good job of capturing the clay-mation aesthetic, though.

Turbo

Registered Member
i thought it might've been CGI. Shame as stop-motion is becoming a lost art.

i'm gonna try to see this, love this kind of stuff and the story looks interesting.

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
I thought it was really good. I personally liked it better than Nightmare Before Christmas. The story was very Lovecraftian in nature as well.

I'm pretty certain it was CGI. It was just far too fluid to be true stop motion. They did do a good job of capturing the clay-mation aesthetic, though.
according to Gaiman "Everything is created, everything is handmade."

Gaiman Calls Coraline the Strangest Stop-Motion Film Ever | The Underwire from Wired.com

I can't find anything to even hint that it might be CGI.

also, I'm totally watching this Wednesday when I have the chance.

Better report: Neil Gaiman Talks About Coraline - Interview: Coraline Author Discusses Henry Selick's Stop-Motion Movie

Another thing I noticed was that I heard about the difficulty in getting the CGI and the stop-motion working together –

“There was no CGI.”
That’s what I wanted to ask you, because I had never heard that there was CGI in the movie –

“Right. Four years ago, when they were looking at ways to do Coraline, one of the ways that was talked about was ‘do half of the film in stop-motion, and when Coraline enters the other world, go CGI.’ This was immediately abandoned as a bad plan but every now and then somebody who has not done their homework . . . it’s Wiki-true. It’s that wonderful sort of Wiki-truthfulness where somebody writes something online, and somebody else embroiders on it and then it never goes away.
“CGI was used in the same way that hand-painting is used in traditional stop-motion: to paint out armatures and to paint out cracks. There’s a thin line on Coraline’s face where they take off the lower face plate and replace it, and they painted out those two cracks in post-production. It’s the same thing people would do painstakingly with a paintbrush, except they’re doing it painstakingly on a computer.”
"I think there was one CGI star-field where the ghost-children appear, and now they have their eyes and they’re gold. And they CGI'ed the star-field because, however much they tried, they couldn’t get the hand-painted one to work.
“But everything else is hand-painted, even the scene where Coraline is in the car with her mum, and they’re driving along, that’s a hand-painted background."

Last edited:

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I really want to see this movie. I can't give you an opinion now, because I haven't yet, but it looks really cool.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
according to Gaiman "Everything is created, everything is handmade."

Gaiman Calls Coraline the Strangest Stop-Motion Film Ever | The Underwire from Wired.com

I can't find anything to even hint that it might be CGI.

also, I'm totally watching this Wednesday when I have the chance.

Better report: Neil Gaiman Talks About Coraline - Interview: Coraline Author Discusses Henry Selick's Stop-Motion Movie
Ah, so they used CGI to cover up imperfections. That makes sense as to why it looked so smooth compared to other stop motion.