• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Copyright Warnings on DVD

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never seen a US DVD as such or anywhere else for that matter so I am unsure of how things are shown but here in the UK when you watch a DVD you see a warning telling you that the film including its soundtrack are copyright of the makers the film etc. I do appreciate why film makers wish to have some kind of notice of copyright and that they want to do everything they can to protect their films but what gets me the most is them being on home DVDs and the fact you cannot skip them, if you have purchased a DVD I don't think you should have to put up with them or not be allowed to skip them, it's almost a slap in the face to people who buy them legally. Do they bother you? Does it bother you that you are unable to skip them?

dDave

V.I.P.
The warning shows up on the screen for at most 20 seconds or so?

I will usually set up a movie and then proceed to go make some popcorn, gather people, etc. I rarely ever see the warning in the first place.

The thing that annoys me the most are the previews on the discs that you can't chapter skip, those are annoying. You have to fast forward at 32x instead, kinda dumb.

Nor all of my movies have previews or a copyright warning that shows up on screen though. For example, my Lord of the Rings Blu Ray trilogy has neither previews nor an onscreen copyright warning, it will load directly to the menu. I like that a lot :)

The only British discs I have are the Harry Potter saga (they're not region locked), I don't recall seeing a copyright warning on those either.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
On Australian DVD's right now they have this little movie at the start with a bunch of people saying thank-you for legally buying DVD's and saying that you are great haha.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I know what you are saying dDave and you are right, there are only on screen for a short period of time but why does it have to be shown at all? If people are buying legitimate DVDs I don't think it should be there.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well, the warning isn't going to be shown on a pirated disc, why would it? :lol:

I think they have the warning on there so that people know not to make copies and distribute them to their friends. Since the warning shows up automatically it's useful in the legal system because nobody can say they weren't aware of the law.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
If I'm right, it also says that the dvd should not be shown in a public setting or lent to anyone.

So, don't let your friends borrow your dvds, you're breaking the law!

I tend no to notice them that much, really, I'm too busy getting comfy to watch :lol:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I know what you are saying dDave and you are right, there are only on screen for a short period of time but why does it have to be shown at all? If people are buying legitimate DVDs I don't think it should be there.
I think that message is meant for people who didn't legitimately buy the dvd's though. I'm not sure how these things work, but I think if that message is on there, you can't copy the dvd without that message also copying, just like you can't forward past it?

We used to have a campaign ad about that that really annoyed me (the message wasn't thought through properly). But the normal screen that comes up for a few seconds doesn't bother me. Like Dave, I put it in and go do the last preparations before playing, so I hardly ever even see it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know they probably make you watch those copyright warnings because it would give them leverage in court but I hate sitting through them. When I'm ready to watch a movie I'm ready to watch it. I don't want to see their warnings or previews of other movies.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I do wonder if there is a certain amount as someone else has suggested that people could plead ignorance if they were caught pirating discs for companies to turn around and say "we warned you and you chose not to listen" and maybe it is right to have these warning on discs but for me it is pointless.

I think that message is meant for people who didn't legitimately buy the dvd's though. I'm not sure how these things work, but I think if that message is on there, you can't copy the dvd without that message also copying, just like you can't forward past it?
See this is the thing, anyone who buys legal DVDs is already supporting the system, anyone who is not will never know about it so it's kind of a backward thing.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
See this is the thing, anyone who buys legal DVDs is already supporting the system, anyone who is not will never know about it so it's kind of a backward thing.
What I'm saying is that people who watch copied dvd's WILL know about it because they will see the same message because you can't copy a disk without also copying that part. At least, that's my thinking. But that message is more there for legal coverage, so I am not convinced it's effective for any other purpose anyway.

Last edited: