• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cop shoots self trying to kill dog.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A California deputy accidentally shot himself while trying to kill a dog that he said was threatening his life on Wednesday, but video captured by a local television station later showed the animal much smaller than reported and peacefully playing with children.

Calif. TV station films dog calmly playing with kids after cop shoots himself trying to kill it | The Raw Story
Of course I wasn't there and not really sure what happened but it sounds like to me the dog barked at him. He took it as a threat, doesn't take much for some cops to feel threatened, and was going to shoot the dog. I can't say I'm happy he shot himself but glad he didn't hit the dog.

Thoughts?

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Serves him right; he could have asked the owner to detain the dog if he felt threatened and by the looks of it, Precious is a friendly dog anyway. It would have been a shame if those kids lost such a loving pet because the cop has a twitchy trigger finger.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Lol! I agree that he shoulda asked them to restrain the dog. Trying to shoot it was really lame and if its all about "which one shoulda got shot" well Im just happy it wasnt the dog that got shot. =D

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Asking the owners to restrain the dog would have been the best thing to do. I don't know why some cops have to shoot dogs that are just barking at them.

I also thought it was funny the dog wasn't as big as reported.

I have to say that sometimes dogs will act different towards a cop than they will someone else. Guess its the uniform.

dDave

V.I.P.
How can they be positive that it's the same dog?

Anyway. That guy is an idiot. How in the world do you accidentally shoot yourself? Even if you are being attacked by a wild animal. Honestly, it's my view that the only people that would accidentally shoot themselves probably aren't qualified to carry a firearm.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Ordinarily, as someone trying to get into the cops myself, I'm quicker to back up the police side of the story, and given my more recent experiences with news, I generally don't believe ANYTHING I read in the news anymore.

But this time I gotta make the quip:

Apparently jumpy cops are more dangerous to cops than barking dogs.

wolfheart

Registered Member
From reading the article it seems to me the cop may have been startled by the dog, if he has a fear of dogs it would be a fairly easy thing to happen.
He should of asked the owner to restrain the dog, and in my opinion not pulled his service piece, it seems a little overboard.

As for him shooting himself in the leg, I'm not entirely sure how he managed that, unless he indeed did panic at the situation.
I should imagine he will not hear the end of this from colleagues for some time, I wonder if he will have to resit his firearms test after this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I get the feeling the gun went off before he even got it out of his holster.

Someone that panics this easily and shoots himself shouldn't be a cop.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A dog barking is no reason to kill it. That is tripled when we're talking about children being in the area.

I'm with Hilander here. He clearly over-reacted and needs to be taken off the force and re-trained (or removed completely).