• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Advice Cooling down tips

Bliss

Sally Twit
If you don't have air-con and your fan is just blowing around hot air, what are some things you will do to help cool yourself down?

A friend of mine said if you freeze a large bottle of water and sit it in front of your fan, it will blow cool air at you. It's something I am going to be trying soon, simply because I don't believe her. :lol:
My mum says a hot meal on a hot day is supposed to cool you down. I wonder if there's any truth to that. It sounds crazy.

I find it helps if you close all of the curtains in your house. Obviously it only makes a small difference, but I am a believer of 'every little helps'.
I never open my windows because I have a phobia of spiders and other bugs finding their way in. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that, but it's just the way I've always been.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Get a wet cold fashwasher or some sort of cloth and put it on your forehead. Then re-cool it whenever it warms up. This works wonders for me. If I just lay down on my bed or something with a cool facewasher on my forehead then I feel much cooler.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
When there's no escaping the heat I find it refreshing to have a cold drink. Sometimes cold showers are nice. There's one other trick, and that's to go get some air conditioning! I would not be able to live without it during the summer. Nights would be the worst. I just can't sleep when it's too hot.

My mum says a hot meal on a hot day is supposed to cool you down. I wonder if there's any truth to that. It sounds crazy.
Uh, no.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
A cold washcloth on the neck works for me. I also take hot showers. You would think that cold showers would be better, but when you get out you feel hot because you were just in a cooler temperature. If you take a hot shower, then the air feels cooler to you when you get out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You would think that cold showers would be better, but when you get out you feel hot because you were just in a cooler temperature. If you take a hot shower, then the air feels cooler to you when you get out.
I don't know. I like cold showers because they cool my skin temperature enough so that I don't start sweating as soon as I get out of the shower. Plus it just feels good to be in cold water, like jumping into a pool or lake on a hot day. I know what you mean though. I sometimes like to take cold showers in the winter because of the warmth it gives me afterward.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't know. I like cold showers because they cool my skin temperature enough so that I don't start sweating as soon as I get out of the shower. Plus it just feels good to be in cold water, like jumping into a pool or lake on a hot day. I know what you mean though. I sometimes like to take cold showers in the winter because of the warmth it gives me afterward.
That is a good point. I might try taking a cold shower and see how it differs. I know when I would work out, I would continue sweating even after my shower, and I hate it. I don't know if a cold shower would be good to cool my skin or not...because after a cold shower the air feels so much hotter. Probably screwed either way.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
When I take a cold shower to feel refreshed on a hot day it's usually not extreme cold. It's just cold enough to feel good. In the winter though, when I want warmth, I gradually make the shower colder and colder until it gets unbearable and I have to turn the water off. It's torture while you're in it, but after you get out of the shower it just feels incredible.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
The few things that I was going to mention such as the face cloth, fan, etc have already been mentioned but what my dad does is he cleans out a Windex bottle and puts water in it and sprays himself in the face and on the body to cool down. One of the weirdest things but it actually works.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'll stay in the shade, wear loose clothes that cover everything from the sun, cover all of my windows, and put fans in to push the air from the coolest side of my house to the warmest. The draft really helps.

dDave

V.I.P.
When I take a cold shower to feel refreshed on a hot day it's usually not extreme cold. It's just cold enough to feel good. In the winter though, when I want warmth, I gradually make the shower colder and colder until it gets unbearable and I have to turn the water off. It's torture while you're in it, but after you get out of the shower it just feels incredible.
You do this as well?

I've also tried doing the really hot shower in the summer so it feels cool outside the shower in comparison (it works).

One thing I'd like to point out is that drinking a ton of water will help immensely with cooling down. And of course, I like to sit back and drink a lemonade or something of that nature on a hot day. It's good stuff. :)