Cool outdoor gear

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by SmilinSilhouette, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

I am an outdoor gear junkie. I probably have at least two of every type of outdoor, camping, backpacking, and/or survival type of tool or equipment. I am running out of things to want/get.

What is the coolest gear you have or want?
    ------
    One of the cool things I have is a twig/pine cone stove. It is basically a folding metal trapezoid shaped box that you can start a small fire in and use to cook/boil water. I've never used it, lol!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

2. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

After my last camping trip to Mozambique where it was scorching hot, my favorite camping item has to be the little fridge you can plug into your car for energy. Not sure what you would call that. But I am damn sure there is nothing like a cold beer after spending 4 hours out in/on the ocean.

My Leatherman is my priced possession. I had to get a new one recently because someone stole mine, but you cannot go without it. Anywhere really, not only camping.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'm not too big on gadgets or things that aren't necessities. I guess my coolest piece of gear is my soda can stove that I built. It weighs just a fraction of an ounce and boils water in 5-6 minutes.

4. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

@ Girl: haha I only have one of those, and someone borrowed it and broke the flat head screwdriver prying with it. Maybe I should get a new one and keep the other one in the box in my truck.

@ Echoes: is that your primary stove or a back up? Do you have an ultralight stove? Do you have a picture or a link on how to make one?

5. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

A good backpack is really a good thing to have. I don't mean a cloth School one were you carry at most twenty pounds. I'm talking an Aluminum Space Frame with heavy duty straps that are about 3X as thick as any strap on a School Bag. I've gone on trips carrying a full half my weight of the time, or an additional 60 pounds on my back. Thats a tent, 2 litre CamelBack (another HUGELY useful piece of kit), Mummy sleeping bag (I loved that thing as well, but some fucker stole it), A single change of clothes, an additional 1litre water bottle, plastic cooking kit (Another thing I recommend), Hatchet, some dried food, and a 1litre bottle of Propane, and then with some other miscellaneous stuff I can't remember, thats 60 pounds of gear. You can't even go from sitting to standing without help. So yeah. A Back Pack. I don't remember the brand though, its been a long time since I've been on a hike like that.

6. Major

It's my primary backpacking stove. I don't carry a backup because these things can't really break unless you step on them.

The one I built last year looked exactly like this, except I used Mountain Dew cans...

[​IMG]

And the building instructions are here:

Zen Alcohol Stoves - Basic TopBurner Alcohol Stove

Then this year I tried a slightly different design. Only major difference is the location and size of the jets. With this second one I can put the pot directly on top of the stove. With the first I had to build a separate pot stand to get the pot to rest the proper height above the flames. The second one also brings water to a boil much faster. Here's what the second one looks like...

[​IMG]

Building instructions:

Zen Alcohol Stoves - Basic SideBurner Alcohol Stove

It's a pretty cool site with lots of different stove designs. I just picked two of the easiest to make. They also have stuff about pot stands and windscreens if you need to build those too.

SmilinSilhouette likes this.
  7. Major

Damn Mag, that's a lot of weight. And a lot of stuff. I agree, a good, supportive backpack is probably the second most important piece of equipment for backpacking. Only more important is a good pair of shoes/boots. I was carrying about 30 pounds or less on my trip last month, and that includes six days of food and two liters of water.

8. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Oh shit yeah I forgot some good shoes.

I've been using Nike work boots lately simply because they are hugely comfortable and breathable, and have some good grip too. they where cheap too, I got them for a good 40 Bucks on a sale. I broke them in wearing them in the shop, but they are awesome hiking boots as well. Hugely comfortable.

Well, I only carried that much wait one time for a 4 night trip. I wanted to prove myself so I along with another friend volunteered to be the pack mules. Ever since I've carried 20 pounds less than that. So 40 pounds mostly.

but regardless of weight, your right, the right shoes make all the difference.

9. Arathald

Arathald Registered Member

I took one of these (the first kind you showed pics of, with the jets near the top) on a weeklong trip on the Appalachian Trail. This stove was just about the best thing ever. It was cheap, light, and boiled water in no time flat. It was quick enough to have a hot meal every single time we stopped for lunch, even if we were in a hurry. The only problem with these stoves is they are somewhat inefficient in the amount of fuel you end up using, compared to some kinds of commercial stoves. I would have no reservations about bringing one of these as my only stove on any trip, but if I ever feel like spending a bit of money, I might get a commercial one (I'd probably go for something that was rather simply constructed).

Edit: I should probably mention that we also made pot stands out of wire clothes hangers. These were constructed to fit exactly around the pot, and the burner fit inside the pot, so the whole setup took up about as much space as just the pot itself; the space efficiency was really nice, especially at the beginning of the trip when we hadn't emptied much out of our bags yet (though I was by no means packed to the gills; I think I carried 34? lbs for the week).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010