Convertible Explanation Needed

Dabs

Registered Member
I don't have anything against convertibles actually, but I don't like them, for me....I don't ever care to own one.
I can't figure this out~
Why do I see people who are driving their convertibles, with the top down...have their damn windows...rolled up?? :confused:
What is the purpose in that??
Is it a law or something, maybe a statement they are trying to make??
Because it really looks pretty stupid.

Raos

Registered Member
It might look stupid, but there is a functional reason this is done. With the windows down there is a tremendous amount of turbulence created in the cabin. Sometimes this is what you want, but other times it is too much. If you just want to feel the sun shining on your body and get a bit of cooling, but not be pummeled by wind and noise then top down with windows up is perfect.

Dabs

Registered Member
It might look stupid, but there is a functional reason this is done. With the windows down there is a tremendous amount of turbulence created in the cabin. Sometimes this is what you want, but other times it is too much. If you just want to feel the sun shining on your body and get a bit of cooling, but not be pummeled by wind and noise then top down with windows up is perfect.
Thank you Raos, for your explanation~
I reckon that does make sense, prolly more so to a guy, and all the people who drive convertibles.
I still say it looks kinda silly....and I don't get how the women handle their hair ~LoL~
I have hair down to my derriere, and it would be a mess!!!!
Now I'm wondering about a guy wearing a toupee....superglue:lol:

Raos

Registered Member
Actually, my reasoning applies equally to a girl with long hair. Actually, we may as well keep gender out of it since both men and women can have long hair. When I had my Jeep I had long hair (I'm a guy). Like you, I did not understand the window thing until I was actually faced with it. With the top down, but windows up my hair was manageable, but with top down windows down it was much more difficult. I had to wear a hat and make sure my hair was tied back really well. And even that did not always help. My wife just resigned herself to having "Jeep hair". I kept a hat and brush in the Jeep for her at all times.