Conversing with Strangers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boredie, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

You're on the bus/train/plane and the stranger sitting next to you, tries to strike up a conversation with you (not necessarily of the opposite gender).
    How do you react?
    Do you go with the flow and respond or do you just ignore the person's attempt to make contact?

If you do respond, how much do you respond, is it minimal, just to be polite and hope to end the conversation as soon as possible, or are you the kind of person who will be only too happy to meet a new person in this way?

2. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

I'll chat away to anyone!

I draw the line with drunk people though as here it's like if you say the wrong thing anything can happen...but srsly I have some of my BEST conversations with complete randomers.

:)

There will be times when I'm in a less sociable mood so I'll keep one of my ipod earphones in but kinda smile politely and nod a bit....

I think it's nice to meet new people. Also talking to people stops me singing along to my ipod or even worse giggling hysterically at a book/text or something....

:)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Boredie likes this.
  3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Most of the time I happily chatter with them and actively participate in a discussion with them.

Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood, I'll just do the polite thing and hope they'll stop talking to me.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I usually do, especially if they're being friendly. But the other day I was in Target and this lady butted her big fat ass into my business. My daughter was bugging me for something and I told her no, and she kept bugging me, and this lady down the aisle said "no means no" :-|

I said (sarcastically) "in our house it means ask again" and she says "my kids learned early on not to ask again"

which of course created a whole jerk store scenario for me, thinking up different perfect responses after the fact.

5. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

I will probably have a chat with the person. I love talking to strangers. Unless the person is somehow creepy or drunk or whatever and then I'll try to keep it short.

Oh, I hate that! In situations like that, people just need to keep to themselves.

6. Puck

Puck Registered Member

It depends how the person approached the conversation.
    If I've got both earphones in and am not looking around or whatever, it usually means I'm enjoying doing my own thing and am not interested in striking up a conversation.
    But if I'm listening to music or reading and I happen to glance up and the person catches my eye and then starts talking, I'll be friendly and carry on a conversation.

Although, I learned the hard way that striking up a conversation with your seat buddy at the beginning of a 12 hour flight is not such a great idea. On my flight to SA I was pretty tired but excited so naturally I started talking to the woman beside me who had also never been to CapeTown, which was fine for the first hour or so. But when I was trying to sleep or just peacefully listening to my music, she'd tap me on the shoulder to try to talk to me. That's when I blatantly ignore someone.

7. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I find it creepy and strange when people start speaking to me not matter what gender the person is. I like to try and work people out before I start talking to them.

In the situations given above I would talk to the person, give more than the minimal response and see how it goes.

Last night I was out in a pub and a random girl came up to our group and commented on my friends dress and we all started chatting and she ended up having a drink with is. At first I didn't say much, but after a while I was comfortable.

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I usually keep the conversation to the minimum. But having started a conversation with me, and depending on the situation if there was something else to comment on, after the initial conversation died down, I'd strike up the conversation again (depending on my mood and the type of person the stranger is).

Would you be one to start your own conversation with a stranger?

Generally I don't, but if something happens worthy of comment during the travel time, I might comment on it and thus strike up a conversation.

Ugh, I hate when things like that happen..

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Usually no.
    I don't like talking to the strangers on the bus/train especially if the journey is not long enough.
    If they need to ask me something, I'll answer/give help ... but other than that I don't think I could start a conversation out of the blue.

10. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

I don't mind it sometimes, but majority of the time I find it incredibly irritating. Especially if I'm listening to my zune or something. If there are wires dangling from my ears, chances are I'm attempting not to hear what's going on around me.

If I go out to the store or something, I avoid everyone I can. Even if I see someone I know or am friends with I tend to ignore them. I hate the awkward "Well... I came here to shop... so... uh... bye..."