• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

controlling fear

simpleman92

I am worried about my response to fear. I understand that everyone has something they are afraid of (heights, bugs, etc.) but i am worried about my response. I like to think i stay calm in a serious situation, but a recent experience has caused me to think otherwise. while walking through a parking lot with two friends, a friend of mine was hit in the back of the head. i turned and saw three people standing there, one holding a bat. My friend immediately responded by running towards the three attackers (who for some reason ran away) and chased them a good block. While all this happened i found myself just standing there. Whether i was afraid, unable to comprehend what just happened, or both, it took what seemed like 5 seconds before it occurred to me to help my friend up, make sure he was okay, and then run to help my other friend who had chased the three by himself. i am particularly worried about how i will respond in future life or death/dangerous situations. will i freeze again? was my response normal? will i be able to process what is happening fast enough to intervene next time? thoughts and comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Fire

Registered Member
I am worried about my response to fear. I understand that everyone has something they are afraid of (heights, bugs, etc.) but i am worried about my response. I like to think i stay calm in a serious situation, but a recent experience has caused me to think otherwise. while walking through a parking lot with two friends, a friend of mine was hit in the back of the head. i turned and saw three people standing there, one holding a bat. My friend immediately responded by running towards the three attackers (who for some reason ran away) and chased them a good block. While all this happened i found myself just standing there. Whether i was afraid, unable to comprehend what just happened, or both, it took what seemed like 5 seconds before it occurred to me to help my friend up, make sure he was okay, and then run to help my other friend who had chased the three by himself. i am particularly worried about how i will respond in future life or death/dangerous situations. will i freeze again? was my response normal? will i be able to process what is happening fast enough to intervene next time? thoughts and comments would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a similar response to such things, and I think it's simply because emotions in general are distant from my conscious mind. Not to say that I am unemotional, simply that it takes longer for emotions to register properly for my mind or that sometimes they never quite make it to my conscious mind.

After studying, thoroughly, other people who are more in tune with their emotions I have been able to crudely use emotions in various applicable situations but I've found I'm simply better at utilizing my more analytical mind.

I take it you're an observer, mostly? In which case, I wouldn't fret too much about it. You simply have some unique strengths and weaknesses, discover and utilize them appropriately.

I realize this thread is old, but am posting this anyway in case the user checks in or others have a similar issue.