• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Controller Mods...

BurgundyOne

Registered Member
I was watching something on tv about expensive modded controllers for games like first person shooters to give you an advantage. I was wondering if there are any members here who are into modding? I'm actually looking to get a modded ps2 controller. I just want it reconfigured to make the buttons perform a diff command(ex. Make r1 take the place of circle or use the analog sticks in place of certain buttons).

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Modifying a controller to give it a different look or to change the buttons around, I don't mind. In fact, I'm all for that, as there's no actual harm done by it, and it's always interesting to see what comes out with it.

Modifying a controller to give yourself an unfair advantage, on the other hand, I am completely against.

BurgundyOne

Registered Member
Well this mod is for a game that I play called Armored Core. The first seven (from the original to silent line) used a certain control set in which you would use the directional pad to turn and move forward and you would use the shoulder buttons for straffing and looking up and down. Eventually they switched the controls to give you the option to use dual analog and fire with r1 and l1 instead of circle and square. It was basically like most other shooters. This made the game a lot more fun IMO even though I loved it before. The only problem is after a couple years of playing it like that it's so hard to pick up the old obscure controls of the first installments. The options in the game will only let you change things around so much but you are still unable to use dual analog on the first 7(not even the ps2 versions). So I wanted a controller configured to allow me to play under the newer control scheem with 2 analogs versus the old one that required me to press something like r2/l2 to look up and down and circle and square to shoot(this is also a problem because you need to constantly use the "x" button making it difficult to use circle lol).

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You're not going to find a controller mod like that. The best way to do what you're trying to do is to get a Gameshark/action replay and then try to re-map the buttons with custom GS codes.

The button mapping is in the game's programming and not the hardware of the controller.

BurgundyOne

Registered Member
I've never hacked a game before. I would need step by step instructions lol.

Any good video game hackers on here? I'd be willing to cough up some cash for some mods.

Last edited:

Doc

V.I.P.
It's not worth it if you can't do it yourself. No one is going to buy a PS2, the game you want, a Gameshark, and then spend the time to come up with the custom GS codes for you to do it.

There's no "hacking" involved, genius.

BurgundyOne

Registered Member
Hmmm you are using a device to access and alter the games programming by implemmenting codes and that is not hacking? Just like you can't mod a controller the way I specified when I've seen it done before. But I guess you're so smart that you know everything. Thanks for your help genius.

Doc

V.I.P.
You came to us for help and now you're attacking the advice you got.

I'm also not going to argue semantics on what defines hacking as it'll just be a pointless argument that will get the thread closed.

Just like you can't mod a controller the way I specified when I've seen it done before.
Oh, have you? Proof or it didn't happen. Using a PS2 controller with the USB adaptor and re-mapping the controls for a rom doesn't count since that's standard on PC games.

But if you meant on a rom you'd have specified that, right?

Last edited:

BurgundyOne

Registered Member
No why would I mean on a rom on a pc? I'm talking about reconfiguring the circuit card inside the controller by soldering and desoldering it's components. How would you like me to prove it to you? I don't have one here. Maybe if/when I come home I can make one and mail it to you. All I did was ask for advice and instead of offer help you tell me I can't do something that I've personally seen someone do before(where do you think I got the idea) and then you want to try to insult me with your petty sarcasm.

Doc

V.I.P.
Trust me, brother. I'm making no attempt at insulting you.

I'm talking about reconfiguring the circuit card inside the controller by soldering and desoldering it's components.
You'd have to re-route the leads for each of the buttons but they'd never be the same for any other game. To do that you'd need a wiring diagram for the controller, a soldering iron, and the proper extremely low voltage wiring to use to re-route the leads for each of the buttons on the controller that you want to move.

You have to sever the circuit for each button that you want to re-route, solder the new wire where you broke it leading to the corresponding break for the buttons you want to re-route, and then make sure you've kept a continuous circuit on each button without crossing the old circuits for each individual button.

Oh, and all of that is in those little silver strips on the circuit boards on the controller. Have fun tracing each individual one, breaking them without a short, and managing to solder each of them without interfering with all of the other circuitry that's crammed into those things.

So unless you have access to a full schematic of the controller and the proper tools to modify a circuit board you can't do it. Just like I said before.