• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Game Cube Controller impressions

Absolute

Registered Member
Overall, I'd have to say the GC controller is the most comfortable thing I've ever held. It fit perfectly.. awesome design. I don't know why they never threw in another Z button though.. or make it have a click to it.

The 3rd party controllers were pretty bad though.. from what I've experienced.

KannonMAK

Registered Member
yeah, only nintendo's version was really good, unlike the 3rd party controllers who made great revisions for the oversized xbox controller.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Absolute said:
I don't know why they never threw in another Z button though.. or make it have a click to it.
So other players can tell when you're just recklessly mashing the Fire button in 1st person shooter multi-play rather than taking your time to make skillful and accurate shots??????

Thermal

Registered Member
The GC controller was my least favorite, with the xbox controller bing my preferred controller. I always found the analog sticks too loose. I'm glad they've decided to think outside of the box for the rev controller.

Wrecked

Registered Member
Thermal said:
The GC controller was my least favorite, with the xbox controller bing my preferred controller. I always found the analog sticks too loose.
agreed, and i didn't like the placement for the Z button. it's like you have to go out of your way to press it. but it is pretty comfy.

I like it, but it could be better. It is very comfortable to hold, and most of the buttons are in fine spots (I hear a lot of complaints of about the strange layout of A, B, X, and Y but I think they are fine). However, I agree that the Z button seems too tacked on, and they should've put another one in front of the L button. I also think that making R and L analogue didn't work out too well. I've only played one game (MGS: Twin Snakes) that made use of R and L's ability to be clicked.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with Rossdude. It's really comfortable, though I think they should have made the handles a little thicker. I only have a few minor complaints. The d-pad is too small. The Z button is in a really awkward spot. The C-stick kinda sucks. And I think they should have used two trigger buttons instead of the springy shoulder buttons.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the C-stick and D-pad. Not a fan of either. The C-stick seems too resistant and it's annoying to use in FPS. The D-pad, like Buckeye said, is just too small. I'd say the whole controller itself, though comfortable as it is, would be more comfortable if it was a little larger.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't like the D-pad and C-stick placement, or the z-button placement. In general, it's a very comfortable controller.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
The only thing I've ever really had a problem with was the D-pad. The placement was bad, the size, was bad, AND it's freaking hard to get in the direction you want. That's why I bought Alien Hominid on the PS2, the D-pad sucked too much and the game just can't be played with an analog stick.

However, otherwise, I've got no problems. I'm actually okay with the C-stick. Plus, I thought the Z button was put in the perfect place.