• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Control videogames with... your emotions?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Sure, you can interact with a game, but isn't the experience empty when you know, deep down, that the game doesn't understand you and your feelings? No, but apparently someone thought as much, because I keep hearing about this device:

Head Games: Video Controller Taps into Brain Waves: "Emotiv Systems introduces a sensor-laden headset that interprets gamers' intentions, emotions and facial expressions"

How do you feel about this?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
i don't think that it would work, the brain is too complicated to be read correctly and what happens if you aren't concentrating on the game?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
dDave said:
i don't think that it would work, the brain is too complicated to be read correctly
There's nothing to prevent someone from finding correlations between emotional states and EEG readings, in theory, and that's apparently what the company making the device did. The device works on the same basic principles that allow us read other peoples emotions via their facial expressions. The device just reads the 'expressions' that get shown in the electrical patterns in peoples scalps, instead of those that get revealed by their facial muscles.

dDave said:
and what happens if you aren't concentrating on the game
The game tells you to pay attention? :D

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
I don't want the government to get involved and if somebody uses this device might get put on the government watch list. Very interesting, though.