Contenders/Pretenders: LA Lakers

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
LA Lakers - Contender or Pretender for the 2008 playoffs?

This is a new series of threads I'm going to start, to help pass the time during this lowly offseason. It's also meant to give us all something else to do instead of talking about this betting scandal and things related to it (we all need a break from it). I'll hopefully get through every team, and post a new thread every couple of days.

For each team, we'll discuss whether they're a contender or a pretender, BUT each team's contender/pretender status is whether or not they'll make one more step further than what they did last year.

Today's team is the LA Lakers.

Veloci-T

Registered Member
Contender: With the team they have right now, they have a good chance of making the playoffs, with an upgrade at the PG and C position (not really at Center though), they have a good chance of making the playoffs, although im not sure whether they can make it past the First Round or not

C

Celtic Fan

Pretender. They're first round outs and that's it.
they have zero chance of even making the WCF's let alone the NBA finals.
second round is a slim possibility, depending on whom they face in the 1st round.
they're more likely to miss the playoffs than make the 2nd round IMO.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I also believe they're pretenders. Their probably going to make the playoffs, but the'll just make it seveth or eight seed. They have two young point guards, but key word is young, they're not ready to lead a team just yet. They have a lot of good players on that team, Odom and Bryant being the top two, but they have to play together. I believe Odom can be an amazing player, but he doesn't get enough touches to show what he can really do.

Now the big question mark on this team will be Bynum will he break out this season, and be a dominat center? I am not sure if he's ready for that, he's probably going to have his best season, but he won't be able to dominate games just yet. So in my mind this team are pretenders.

B

Built Ford Tough

They are without a doubt pretenders. They will be lucky to make the playoffs this season.

They have Kobe and that is pretty much it. You can count on Odom getting injured for a long period of time. It happens every year. Kobe is going to have to carry the team like he has done the last two seasons. They haven't got any better this offseason. The only move they made was getting Fisher and he alone won't be able to help them get out of the first round.

Bynum will have to have a breakout year and I honestly don't think he will. He hasn't shown that he can put together consistent stratches of games. I don't really have much faith that he will every be a dominating player that the Lakers think he will be. They should've traded him for Kidd at the deadline last season.

The Lakers are pretenders and I honestly don't think they will even make the playoffs unless a big move happens.

B

Big_Mac

I say pretenders. Kobe alone will get them into the playoffs. After that, you need some more help. Odom is a good secondary option but if they want to contend, you need more then that. After that, you got no one to fill that void as your 3rd option. They just don't have enough firepower to win in the playoffs, let alone the west.

Veloci-T

Registered Member
they need a good Center, they can possibly sign Chris Webber, but its unlikely that Webber will sign with the Lakers as Dallas and Detroit wants him too

B

baller42590

i luv kobe hes one of my fav players, but im gonna say pretenders. Unless kobe can take the team by himself like he's been doing.