Contender/Pretender: Atlanta Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Atlanta Hawks - Contender or Pretender for the 2008 playoffs?

This is a new series of threads I'm going to start, to help pass the time during this lowly offseason. It's also meant to give us all something else to do instead of talking about this betting scandal and things related to it (we all need a break from it). I'll hopefully get through every team, and post a new thread every couple of days.

So, the first team is the Atlanta Hawks. For each team, we'll discuss whether they're a contender or a pretender, BUT each team's contender/pretender status is whether or not they'll make one more step further than what they did last year.

2. zunami

zunami Registered Member

I don't know if you should do threads for such obvious choices. Of course Atlanta is supposed to be better because of what they got in the draft as a result of underachieving for like the 6th season in a row. They made the right choices, not picking Mike Conley and instead taking the best player available, Al Horford. At pick #11, when the draft becomes more of a crapshoot, they drafted for need and took Acie Law. You can't blame them if Acie Law ends up not capable of leading a team and Conley becomes a star, they made the right choices.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It's very hard to say if this team will be a contender or a pretender, because it's been for years now that they had a good team, but they always finish with a loosing record. They have a lot of good young players like Smith, Williams, Horford and Law. But I honestly believe this team will be a contender in a few years, but not next year, they're still very young and raw, and a lot of those players need to develop and learn the game a little more. So I still believe they'll have a losing record next season, but that should change in a couple of seasons.

4. teeps11

teeps11 Guest

Pretender. Just because they added Law and Horford doesn't mean that a crappy team will become a playoff team overnight. It will take them at least a couple more years to make it to the playoffs.