• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Contact lenses that give telescopic vision

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Researchers have come up with a pair of contacts that can give telescopic vision. It will magnify objects 2.8 times. The trick is you have to wear a special pair of glasses, kind of like the ones you get at the movie theater, for them to work. They were invented for the elderly but I can see other uses for them.

Scientists invent contact lenses that bestow telescopic vision | The Raw Story

Wade8813

Registered Member
Haha, I love that. The concept behind it seems so intuitive. I wonder if they can work both as corrective lenses like normal glasses, and telescopes for people who don't need corrective lenses.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That's very cool...maybe it could help elderly people or people with light sensitivity/low vision in driving? There are other eye conditions aside from macular degeneration (which was mentioned in the article) that may benefit from this.

It would be awesome if someday a normal pair of contacts can have dual capability for this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Haha, I love that. The concept behind it seems so intuitive. I wonder if they can work both as corrective lenses like normal glasses, and telescopes for people who don't need corrective lenses.
They mentioned military application so I think they would work for those that need no corrective lenses. Give you a better look without getting too close.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I doubt it. It's not that much magnification, and besides, you still generally can't see anything you couldn't see anyway - it's just like you're closer now.

dDave

V.I.P.
I wonder how disorienting it would feel at first to see everything in almost 3 times real size.

I imagine that technology like this will be particularly useful in professions such as surveying, specific parts of the medical field, and maybe certain types of police work.

A normal pair of contacts that can do this without the glasses would have to pretty thick I'd imagine. Of course there has to be two layers to act as different parts of a lens but usually their have air on there. They'd need to find some sort of a clear, non-toxic medium, that is thick enough to keep the contact from breaking in the eye. (I imagine if it was done poorly that it could turn into a mess.)

Wade8813

Registered Member
Initially I thought it would be really handy for military or for police, but now I'm starting to wonder. Military can already use scopes, or other sorts of goggles to enhance their vision. What benefits do these provide? The same goes for police. Maybe these are cheaper, but they also seem easier to lose, plus you have all the risks of contact lenses for people who have never worn contacts.

And surveyors can just use the equipment they've used for forever. Do they really need new equipment?