• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Console War II: N64 vs. PS1

Favorite?

• Nintendo 64

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Playstation 1

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Due to the popularity of the first Console War, I have decided to open up yet another Console War topic, this one being the heated discussion between the Nintendo 64 and the Playstation 1.

Remember, give us your favorite and also give us why it is/was your favorite.

Personally, I would have to go with the Nintendo 64. This was Nintendo's best console in my opinion, because there were so many great games (at the time) that I could play, ranging from Super Mario 64 to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to even Bomberman 64. All of these games, and more, are the reason that I loved the N64 over the PS1.

--
Hopefully the poll works, because I didn't check the public option...

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I couldn't stand the controller for the 64, to me it's the worst of any console except the Dreamcast. I've never owned a 64 either, but I played often. WCW Revenge is one of my favorite games ever, but I always though Golden Eye was a bit overrated, don't get me wron I enjoy the game, but I didn't think it was good like some people make it out to be.

That said, I loved my PS1, loved the controller and loved the games. It definitely gets my vote.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I have to go with PS1. My first instinct was to think of Zelda and Mario 64, of course, but then I remembered games like Final Fantasies VII, VIII, and Tactics.

They just don't make games like that anymore.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would have to say N64. It was the very first console that I bought for myself. It also has my all time favorite game, Donkey Kong 64. I still have that console, and I still play that game. I have all the mario party games and mario kart, mario world...but DK64 was and still is my favorite game.

Actually I think Borderlands beat that out for my all-time favorite, so maybe it's my 2nd all time now.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I have two words for you... Resident Evil. That series is the reason my love of video games traveled from childhood to adulthood safely. Haha. And with the PS1 you had Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2 & Resident Evil 3. Arguably three of the best survival horror games of all time. It had a ton of other games I loved, but those were the big 3 for me.

The N64 was decent, but had nothing for the awesomeness of the original Playstation.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Granted, the original PS1 Resident Evils were all really good, but did they innovate as much as the original 3D platformer Super Mario 64? I don't think so.

Currently the PS1 has a 3-2 lead on the 64. Still close.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
this is a good one.

I went with the N64. I actually believe it was the N64 that really turned me into a gamer. Sure the Atari & NES captured all of my hours before. But it was truly the N64 that made me into a drooling gamer. I learned about releases and competitive play. All sorts of things that the previous consoles really didnt offer.

The PS1 at the time really only seemed to brag about Final Fantasy... I didnt care for the series so I had no real reason to make the jump to Playstation yet.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I went with the N64. I actually believe it was the N64 that really turned me into a gamer. Sure the Atari & NES captured all of my hours before. But it was truly the N64 that made me into a drooling gamer. I learned about releases and competitive play. All sorts of things that the previous consoles really didnt offer.
This, besides the games, is another reason I loved the N64. I actually started learning more about the business of gaming (slowly) when I got my N64 about a year or so after its launch. It got me seriously into gaming and I will always remember this console.

Oh... and Pokemon Snap? Best game ever. :lol:

Konshentz

Konshentz
Granted, the original PS1 Resident Evils were all really good, but did they innovate as much as the original 3D platformer Super Mario 64? I don't think so.
Honestly, I didn't care for Super Mario 64. Haha.

And all survival horror fans owe Resident Evil basically everything they have now. That shit paved the way.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It did. No doubt about that, but I just don't see how two major franchises in FF and RE can beat out the library of franchises Nintendo built up with the 64. Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon... and tons of one-offs: Goldeneye (first great console MP FPS), etc.