Consignment Broker

kromsales

Registered Member
#1
Ok. I decided to give it a try. I can't be a Trading Assistant cause I dont have the feedback yet. So I am going to be a Consignment Broker instead :)
I had someone that has been following my Human Casino Chip in the news and paper. She wants me to sell her Garage full of stuff on ebay for her! I figure if she has stuff there has to be others that do too! So I decided to make it a home business. Any suggestions/advice is welcomed! :)
Thanks!
 

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
#2
WTG!! I have heard of people doing that here and thought about doing that myself too!

I was just trying to figure out how they charge.........I have a friend who is going through someone who does this in the town I moved from. She is going to tell me how they do it! LOL
 

kromsales

Registered Member
#3
Its accually quite easy on the fees and stuff. I just looked and called around to see what the going rate was. There is accually only one other person in a 3 city area here that is doing it so I am confident it will go good. I am going tomorrow to put flyers up at the all the stores and stuff to try and get it up and going :)
 
#4
That sounds great! The only thing I would hate is the packaging. If I could find a cheap company to do it for me I would be seling sooo much more on EBay! I love the thrill of taking pictures, choosing the right ones, writing something fun and creative, then sitting back and watching the auction...then it happens!!! The auction ends and I have too PACKAGE the item, I truly hate that!!! Maybe that 's an idea for someone???
 

Nanner

Registered Member
#5
angelspeak said:
That sounds great! The only thing I would hate is the packaging. If I could find a cheap company to do it for me I would be seling sooo much more on EBay! I love the thrill of taking pictures, choosing the right ones, writing something fun and creative, then sitting back and watching the auction...then it happens!!! The auction ends and I have too PACKAGE the item, I truly hate that!!! Maybe that 's an idea for someone???

I'm with you! Keeping all the stuff straight.....what goes to who. AKKK! Do not like that part either!
 

kromsales

Registered Member
#6
Packaging does suck :( But i am going to have an area to set it all up. That should help. I am doing it out of my bedroom so space is going to be tight but that is fine as long as it pays off in the end LOL I need to earn something to start saving so if it works its worth it :)
 

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
#7
I thought about doing this but you really have to have a lot of free time. I tried it in fact. Didn't have a problem getting clients, but it was hard to keep everything straight.

I actually work for a powerseller on the side. I take pictures and describe their items and then list them. I'm considered a "Web Designer" there, but mostly what I do is graphics and writing.

Plus I haven't been there since January 3rd, but I am still employed so I could go in if they needed me.
 

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
#8
I did this for a while. I was actually registered as a trading assistant until I failed to make a sell in a 30 day period. 30% commission seemed to be about the breaking point where people went from interested to not.
It is a lot of work and a little hard to get established when you are not a brick and mortar operation. People are uneasy about droping their stuff off at a strangers house. Some trading assistance do the hidden shipping charge game. That's a good idea, but, I've always had a problem with that.

On a positive note. I have looked up many trading assistants and many of them are doing a lot of business.
My one peice of advice would be to get the flat rate priority boxes from the postal service and use them as much as possible. The post office will mail them to your door and they are free. It saves money on supplies, it gets there faster and it is a lot easier than figuring out weight and zip codes.

Good luck!
 

kromsales

Registered Member
#9
Forehead Guy said:
I thought about doing this but you really have to have a lot of free time. I tried it in fact. Didn't have a problem getting clients, but it was hard to keep everything straight.

I actually work for a powerseller on the side. I take pictures and describe their items and then list them. I'm considered a "Web Designer" there, but mostly what I do is graphics and writing.

Plus I haven't been there since January 3rd, but I am still employed so I could go in if they needed me.
I think I will have the time. I am a stay at home mom so that helps. The boys are both in school so during the day its just emily and I . The only time is when I start making my appearances then I will need the time off...but I have someone to take over for me when that happens :)

Spence said:
I did this for a while. I was actually registered as a trading assistant until I failed to make a sell in a 30 day period. 30% commission seemed to be about the breaking point where people went from interested to not.
It is a lot of work and a little hard to get established when you are not a brick and mortar operation. People are uneasy about droping their stuff off at a strangers house. Some trading assistance do the hidden shipping charge game. That's a good idea, but, I've always had a problem with that.

On a positive note. I have looked up many trading assistants and many of them are doing a lot of business.
My one peice of advice would be to get the flat rate priority boxes from the postal service and use them as much as possible. The post office will mail them to your door and they are free. It saves money on supplies, it gets there faster and it is a lot easier than figuring out weight and zip codes.

Good luck!
I could never do hidden shipping. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night LOL I hate when people do that! But I already went to the USPS site and ordered a ton of thier boxes! :)
 
Last edited: