Consider This: Manga

bishop_kain

Registered Member
I have been wondering this since last year and I need some Input on this subject. I have heard a few weeks ago that manga is not a book. So I started wondering if Manga is a book or would it be considered a comicbook like you see in the DC Company.

Do you think a Manga is a Book?

I've always thought of manga as books. I mean some of them aren't very deep and the mostly focus on action or in some cases (well actually a lot of the time) on perverted things. But they're are very, very good ones along the same quality of a great novel. My personal favorite is Monster. It's just like reading a novel. Except there's pictures. It's different in Japan people just except them as a different way to read, but here in the US we were used to comics before manga was really that popular so it's hard to look at it from a different point of view than we're used to.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've skimmed through some at book stores and it looked more like a comic book to me. It seemed to be a lot more along the lines of a very advanced Marvel or DC style comic. Lots more plot development and storyline.

I haven't seen enough of them to know if some of them are long enough to be considered a book but even then I think it still makes more sense to consider it a long comic.

Teorropy

I know, they seem to be more than a average comic book, but not really comparable to my books I read. I think they need to make another type, in between the comic book and reading books.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi all.

Here is the difference between Manga and Comic books.

Mangas don't conform to the strict comic book ratings and standards code, and there fore can not be sold on the same rack as comics and most Mangas have an age restrictions placed upon them.

Comic books can't show Nudity or sex in any form, where Mangas can and will get quite detailed on the subject. Mangas will also show rape ,murder, drug use, and Comic books don't.

I can go on and on. But the big thing that separates the two is the comic book code.

These are some of the codes Highlights

Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.

If crime is depicted it shall be as a sordid and unpleasant activity.

Criminals shall not be presented so as to be rendered glamorous or to occupy a position which creates a desire for emulation.

In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.

Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gun play, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.

No comic magazine shall use the word horror or terror in its title.
All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.
Inclusion of stories dealing with evil shall be used or shall be published only where the intent is to illustrate a moral issue and in no case shall evil be presented alluringly, nor so as to injure the sensibilities of the reader.

Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampisim, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.

Profanity, obscenity, smut, vulgarity, or words or symbols which have acquired undesirable meanings are forbidden.

Nudity in any form is prohibited, as is indecent or undue exposure.

Suggestive and salacious illustration or suggestive posture is unacceptable.

Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities.

Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at nor portrayed. Violent love scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.

Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.

Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.

Nudity with meretricious purpose and salacious postures shall not be permitted in the advertising of any product; clothed figures shall never be presented in such a way as to be offensive or contrary to good taste or morals.

I hope that helped..

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
I have to disagree with you, Nightsurfer. Comic books can and do show all of those things you listed. It is true that the Comics Code does not allow them, but there are many comic books published without Comics Code approval. DC and Marvel have both done this, along with plenty of other companies.

The defining difference between comics and manga is simply this: manga is made in Japan. That's all. Manga is Japan's version of a comic book. The stuff you see in bookstores outside of Japan is often collected volumes or extended length books, just like comics trade paperbacks or graphic novels.

All the differences inside the books, like the type of story and pictures, arise from cultural differences between America and Japan. Japan has much less restrictive inhibitions on nudity, etc., so their comics have been allowed to grow and evolve without the moral restrictions imposed on American comics in the form of the Comics Code. More and more American publishers are beginning to abandon the Comics Code, so we'll see American comics becoming more like manga over time.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I have to disagree with you, Nightsurfer. Comic books can and do show all of those things you listed. It is true that the Comics Code does not allow them, but there are many comic books published without Comics Code approval. DC and Marvel have both done this, along with plenty of other companies.

The defining difference between comics and manga is simply this: Manga is made in Japan. That's all. Manga is Japan's version of a comic book. The stuff you see in bookstores outside of Japan is often collected volumes or extended length books, just like comics trade paperbacks or graphic novels.

All the differences inside the books, like the type of story and pictures, arise from cultural differences between America and Japan. Japan has much less restrictive inhibitions on nudity, etc., so their comics have been allowed to grow and evolve without the moral restrictions imposed on American comics in the form of the Comics Code. More and more American publishers are beginning to abandon the Comics Code, so we'll see American comics becoming more like Manga over time.
Hi ya.

While the code is being placed by the way side they still follow it. Also Mangas Are made in the US, Canada, As well as the UK. Manga is a Title reference to define harder and more sexual related comics (as well as a few underground comics)
Also most Mangas are done in B&W or color streaking.

As to the US companies that are going against the code, the comics are listed as one shots or graphic novels. Also the comics in the US that goes against the code have lower sales and are usually have an age restrictions,
Books like Faust, Heavy metal, and Sin City are just a few.

Most good comic shops separate the Non code comics from the ones that are code rated.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but most of them are one shots, or they are retelling as story like 911 with out restrictions.

But as time goes by the code will be gone altogether and comics will become the new media for extreme story telling.

Also wanted to point out that now that Manga and Anime styles start to become more popular the bigger companies like Marvel,DC, Top Cow and Image will follow suit and the first american company to throw the code out was Image comics. Spawn # 1 started the revolotion.

I will place bets that DC and Marvel will drag their feet till the end.