Conservative university bans Democratic club

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ExpectantlyIronic, May 23, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Conservative university bans Democratic club

That seems pretty bad form for a university. Oh, and "Liberty University"? Ironic.

Last edited: May 23, 2009

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I completely agree. A university should encourage different points of views. What Liberty University is doing stifling a free exchange of ideas.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  3. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh yes them.. Good Old Virginia. When i was looking at colleges in my state, I looked at them, and they had a rule against having more than 2 earrings, 1 in each earlobe, so I was automatically marked off of their list, granted they didn't have anything I wanted to major in.. But, they are very religious and very conservative, so this doesn't shock me at all.

I don't think it is right by any means. They are going to get a diverse group of students and each student should be able to have their individual opinions and feelings, so I don't think they have any right to deny the group. I find it really sad actually.

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Aw man the irony of it all. "We're a University, we're here to help you learn, but you can only learn conservative lessons." I can't stand things like this, I even went to an extremely religious university (it was extrememly strict) but there was no restriction on political views.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Ok, after hearing about that rule, this doesn't come surprising. It seems that the rules in that school are very strict and they let you know about it even before you commit to it. I wonder what courses they offer and if subjects are monitored to match the conservative nature of the school.

6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

It seems opposed to the idea behind science and research in general to ban particular views. Universities are supposed to teach science, and in science, the best argument and the empirical truth matters, not the authority of the scientist. The moment an argument is defeated not by a better argument or more thorough research, but by authority and force, we are not dealing with true science anymore. Science depends on independent and free thoughts.

So I suppose this university is not a good university.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

The school in question was started by the late Jerry Falwell, and they teach that the universe was created fully formed 6,000 years ago, amongst other things. Now it's obviously within the schools rights to teach whatever they like, and as a private university, to allow whatever clubs they like; but you really have to think Liberty University seems almost an antithesis to what a university should be, with their apparent allergy to freethought.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

that's unfortunate especially considering the club was for traditional marriage and pro-life. I'm sure there are students that would like to change the Democrat platform from within and this is a good place to start. I used to really like Liberty and Thomas Road, but after Falwell died, it doesn't seem the same anymore.

9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

While there is an ideology at Liberty and I respect that, there is a fundamental part of a college that must validate difference of opinion. People take away from a Liberty education different things.

10. fleinn

fleinn 101010

"University" doesn't really to be a very good descriptive term this time around, I guess.. Seems more like a privately funded political institution. ..Are they still tax- exempt, while the church receives federal and state support? ..how is this handled by other universities - do they receive support for taking in students of various kinds according to state laws about universities? ..Other benefits?