Conservatism in Germany

Sim

Registered Member
"Conservatism" obviously means different things in America, than in Germany, or doesn't it?

Germany's #1 in the government, Chancellor Angela Merkel, is a woman, married the 2nd time, without kids -- and #2, Vice Chancellor and Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, is an openly gay man. And that's not a left-leaning, progressive government -- it is a conservative government.

So what choice did die-hard conservatives have? They voted for the conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) and got a childless woman and a fag. Oh the pain!

But wait, maybe at least in the Ministry for Family and Women, some conservatism may have survived ... or not?

New Minister for Family and Women is Kristina Köhler (since this weekend Kristina Schröder -- she has married and chosen to take her husband's name, instead of a double name):

Kristina Schröder (nee Köhler), 32 years old, is the new Minister for Family and Women (CDU)

Can she protect conservative family values from childless chancellor women and gay vice chancellors?

Queer.de celebrates her participation on CSD parades, and mentions that her bureau director is the chairman of the "Gays and Lesbians in the Christian Democratic Union"-group. Kristina Schröder participated in the Christopher Street Day parade in Frankfurt last year on the wagon of the Christian Democrat queers and writes on her website: "The members of the LSU (Gays and Lesbian Christian Dems) deserve great respect, because sometimes they are still frowned upon in the Christian Democrat Union. And as convinced Christian Dems, they don't always have an easy time within the homosexual scene either."

What about gay marriage?

"Especially because I am Christian Democrat, I am happy about gay and lesbian partners who want to take responsibility for each other permanently within a civil union", Schröder said. "These partners are living conservative values!"

That's apparently conservatism in Germany. Opinions? ;)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yes, it's far from what people would say "conservative" party. I'm thinking if our own conservatives here have similar players but I cannot make any comparison. If it's in the US, it would have definitely been along the lines of very liberal position.

Btw, is there a usual conservative issue to getting your husband's name after marriage? I thought it was just a common thing.

Sim

Registered Member
Btw, is there a usual conservative issue to getting your husband's name after marriage? I thought it was just a common thing.
It's rather common the wife takes her husband's name. But it's been legal since the 70s (IIRC) to take a double name (when Heidi Müller and Peter Schmidt marry, they get the name Schmidt-Müller), or that the husband takes the name of his wife.

Most people still go the traditional way. But those who don't are usually progressive types or feminists, women for whom it's a statement not to drop the own name.