• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Conscience clause used to refuse to fill prescription

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This woman's doctor wrote her a prescription for Misoprostol because she had a miscarriage and it would help her avoid a more invasive treatment. Well this pharmacist decided she didn't need it and refused to fill it. The pharmacist didn't give her much of an answer as to why she did this. I strongly suspect its because if used with Mifepristone it can cause a miscarriage but she didn't have a prescription for that just the Misoprostol.

Walmart uses Georgia ‘conscience clause’ to refuse woman’s miscarriage treatment

I think if a doctor decides you need a certain drug they should fill it. I don't care what their personal beliefs are. This is between a person and their doctor. If this pharmacist thought it was wrong and just couldn't bring herself to fill it she should have asked someone else to do it. It's not up to her to judge what treatment someone needs.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Some folks are just control freaks and have to try and interfere with everything as though they know better. It's sad to see this attitude extended to a pharmacist position. Refusing to provide prescribed medication should be not only be grounds for dismissal, but possibly criminal charges.

- Cham

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Some folks are just control freaks and have to try and interfere with everything as though they know better. It's sad to see this attitude extended to a pharmacist position. Refusing to provide prescribed medication should be not only be grounds for dismissal, but possibly criminal charges.

- Cham
Except that Georgia has "right of refusal laws" (which are closely related to conscious clause laws) as do about 11 other states, so thus it's not only impermissible for there to be grounds for dismissal, but impossible to bring criminal charges.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Ah, so this is interesting. What is the wording of Georgia's "conscience clause"? I bet they're gonna have a lot of fun with that.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It more than likely is because of an objection to abortion, which some people object to. It's not aimed at women because they are women, it's aimed at the gender that can get pregnant and carry a baby.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That sounds like the same thing to me.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No, women just happen to be the gender that gets pregnant and carries a baby to term. It's aimed at the act of abortion, not aimed at women. It's not part of some fabricated war on women many on the Left love to pretend exists.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This woman wasn't trying to get an abortion, she just had a miscarriage and needed this drug to keep from having a more invasive treatment. Really lame of this pharmacist to decide she didn't need this drug. Like she knows better than her doctor what she needs.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Fascinating. So, this is kind of like the Freedom of Religion argument being used to justify denial of service to a gay person, but it's more general... A freedom of conscience clause being used to deny a woman her medication because of personally held opinions rather than religious beliefs. This sounds very much like what I have been talking about in the Memories Pizza (SD) thread. Might as well just have a "Because I feel like it" clause.

- Cham