• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Conor McGregor retires

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
@TheNotoriousMMA 2h2 hours ago
I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later.
Pretty big news in the world of MMA today. Personally, I’m never surprised when someone from Boxing or MMA retire at an early age, especially if they’ve already made a load of money. Good for him I say. Bad for Dana White, though.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
And NewGamePlus was right. Conor DID NOT retire and simply refused to do some promotional work because he wanted to focus on his rematch with Diaz. As a result, Dana White pulled him off the card of UFC 200 but I'd be shocked if they don't put McGregor/Diaz 2 back on it. After all, it is their biggest PPV ever and Conor is their biggest draw.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Also there was some thing about Connor seeing a fighter in his gym die from a knockout 2 days later. That might even be a bigger part than the promotional thing, but regardless, there's no way that a 27 year old is going to just drop everything and pick up something completely new to replace what he did in the UFC. At some point, he's going to be done grieving, past the trauma, the issues will be long-resolved (or just over and forgotten) and he'll get back to it.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
From what I understand, it was more about Conor refusing to do the promotional stuff and wanting to focus on his training. Problem is that UFC cannot give Conor a pass for that because this would've set a precedent and if they grant it to Conor, they would eventually have to grant it to Joanna, to Mighty Mouse, to Weidman, etc, etc. So in that scenario, I think that Dana White did the right thing.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
100% with Dana White on that too, but also understanding if the fighter dieing is really NOT an excuse by Connor (after all, these things don't exactly happen all the time, much less with perfect timing right when Connor needs an excuse).