• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Congresswoman, at least 11 Others, shot By Gunman

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Such tragic news, especially when she was out meeting with the public like this.

Arizona Congresswoman Shot By Gunman : NPR

Congresswoman, 6 Others, Killed By Gunman

by NPR Staff

Drew Angerer/AP Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

January 8, 2011

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, member station KJZZ in Phoenix has confirmed.

The Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office told news director Mark Moran the 40-year-old Democrat was killed.

Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about
four feet away, Michaels said.

Susan Walsh/AP Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) poses with House Speaker John Boehner on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

Susan Walsh/AP Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) poses with House Speaker John Boehner on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

Giffords was married to astronaut Mark Kelly, a veteran of Desert Storm. They have two children.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This is such horrible tragic news. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Messengers of inflammatory and divisive rhetoric, this blood is on your hands.
I was wondering how long this would take. The blood is on the hands of the gunman. Not on the hands of those who want change.

I seriously doubt this would be said if she were a Republican.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You mean like this?

Needless to say, that is if the shooter was motivated by such a thing.

Either way, this is terrible news and it's always unfortunate to see how some people handle things they don't like.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This just happened, and we can't jump to conclusions about the gunman or his intentions. Severe mental health trouble can often be a factor in these sorts of events.

It's just sad because the whole "Congress on your Corner" idea is a great one, and this was a chance for good people of all viewpoints to talk to their Representative, who was good enough to come out and do this kind of thing.

I'm just sick of seeing news about shootings, in general. It's completely ridiculous, depressing, and tragic.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I was wondering how long this would take. The blood is on the hands of the gunman. Not on the hands of those who want change.

I seriously doubt this would be said if she were a Republican.
When you call for blood, someone will answer, red or blue and yes this would be said regardless.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
You mean like this?

Needless to say, that is if the shooter was motivated by such a thing.

Either way, this is terrible news and it's always unfortunate to see how some people handle things they don't like.
Again, it's uncertain at this point what the shooter's motivations were...I don't think that the hateful rhetoric on either side is acceptable by any means, but we can't jump to conclusions.

Plus, we can take this point in the thread to make it a little more understanding; the shooting is horrible and barbaric, but no one in their right mind was literally hoping that an opposing politician would die.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Let's first wait 'till more is known about the gunman.

If this was politically motivated I don't think the 6 'others' would have been killed. Sounds more like a looney.

Tragic news nonetheless. :(

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
When you call for blood, someone will answer, red or blue and yes this would be said regardless.
He said messengers of divisive rhetoric (as a side not I've always wondered why when Republicans want change it's divisive but when Democrats do they're patriotic, but anyway) that includes of course people like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity. If you have evidence they've "called for blood" by all means, please share.