Congressman Introduces Resolution Supporting Your Right to Record the Police

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

Duh... no brainer. Of course you have the right to record the police. THEY work for you.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Yes. In most states one party consent is all you need anyway. When I am open carrying quite often I will have a high capacity digital audio recorder around my neck because police do lie. If I am stopped for whatever reason, and if I am wrongfully arrested or have my rights violated it's my word against theirs in court. If I have an audio recording of the interaction... I can win my case with that evidence.

In answer to your question, no I do not agree with a Federal law allowing that... I agree more with the states passing their own respective laws.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I've noticed that the States' Rights argument is big among conservatives around here - particularly you, Pro - and I know this is probably another topic for another thread, but why is a state law addressing something such as this preferable in your mind to a Federal law?

I don't disagree with recording police, but I guess I don't fully appreciate the implications of passing a Federal law addressing it.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

This is kind of a sloppy definition, but to me Federal Law should enforce liberties and state laws can enforce negative liberties. I'm fine with a state saying you cannot drive over 75 or you must buy health insurance, but federal law should never be able to say such. Of course, there are boatloads of exceptions.

So in this case, I am fine with a Federal law saying you are allowed to record police.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I guess you could make the argument that the right to protect yourself (including the right to protect yourself from your state government is a Constitutional right and thus this statute is permissible) but I really see this point, it would seem a state's rights advocate would be opposed to this as excessive federal intervention.

I don't disagree with recording police either although I would prefer state's passing these kinds of statutes.

7. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

But isn't this a liberty, just as you have the liberty to take pictures in a public place?

8. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

yeah, absolutely. This should be the law of the land. I realize my sloppy definition is off because by that logic, states could restrict taking photos of police, which should never happen. So, I'm not sure what I was getting at.:-/

9. anmracing

anmracing Registered Member

Well it seems that in some states, if you don't tell someone your recording them (ie: the LEO ) you can get charged with a felony.......

Hit the jump

Of course, maybe he should not have been doing wheelies and whatnots but they'll add as many charges as possible to get you in the slammer....... Saftey first peeps!!!!

10. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters