Congress Pushing for Internet Blacklist

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you think about this?

Demand Progress

I'd personally like to know more about what specific sites they want to block before I decide to support or oppose this. Primarily, if the wording is very specific to block ONLY warez, torrent, p2p and other piracy sites, then I'd support this. Again, very dependent on the specific wording.

Piracy makes honest people have to pay even more for movies, music, software, etc and I'd support anything (within reason) that made it much harder for digital pirates to exist.

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

If it's for piracy, then I'm for it. The only thing that would have me worried is how broad they'd define a torrent site, considering that not all torrents are illegal.

If they plan to do what they planned in Australia, then I'd imagine there would be strong opposition against it.

3. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

They always start with something small, then work their way up. Just remember that. Once they get their foot in the door of internet censorship, there is no telling where they will stop. Enforce the laws they have in place now... simple as that. The Feds don't need more control, especially over the internet.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  5. Nevyrmoore

I don't see the relevance to the second link. That one's about the government haveing an easier time to watch where you go and what you do online.

First link however? Completely the same.

6. SmilinSilhouette

@ Storm: I believe they are both components of the same legislation.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Wikileaks.

I guarantee you it's the sole reason for this. Controlling the internet is about controlling information and the US government is the biggest player on the world stage in terms of information farming, harvesting, and functions. WikiLeaks was getting major flack from our government for sharing videos of soldiers murdering unarmed civilians and leaking intelligence documents reporting such crimes against humanity. I'm sure though that we'll hear some lame political rhetoric about why they're doing this, but I guarantee you sites like this are their real reasoning.

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

And you don't think they have the power now to just shut it down? This makes me wonder what their real intentions are for laying the groundwork for this new law... if they already have the power to shut down websites, and piracy is already illegal... why make a bill that can shut down websites and censor the internet?

Could it be they slowly want to censor the internet and any disobedient dissent? Shit like this always starts small, then next thing you know conspiracy theory websites will be deemed a threat and so on...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  9. Nevyrmoore

They have procedures in place that pretty much mean that if the site gets shut down, certain information will be released. They've recently sent out an encrypted file named "insurance" that uses the highest form of encryption, so no-one knows what's in it. Chances are that if anything happens to the site, or the people who run it, the key gets released and so does the info within.

Whether or not it's a bluff is a different matter. But it definitely means that government agencies are going to think twice before taking the site down.

10. SmilinSilhouette

I'm pretty sure none of you will be suprised about what you see here:

WikiLeaks