Confused in Translation

Bananas

Endangered Species
Do you mean you call the room with just a toilet 'The bathroom'?
No...I mean..... in the UK any room with a toilet is most often called a "toilet". Whilst in the US they call it a "bathroom" or as Rebeccaa pointed out a "Restroom".
If its any interest I call the room with a toilet in Ty bach but then that truly is confused in translation as in English it translates to "Little house".

Wade8813

Registered Member
Tomato [pronounced Tom a toe] - Tomato [Tom A toe]
Excuse me - Pardon Me.
Geek - Dork.
Messed-up - Drop the ball.
Bumpkin - Hick.
Loopy - Loco.
I believe we use both toemaytoe and toemahtoe. I know we use both "excuse me" and "pardon me", and both geek and dork (although technically, they have slightly different definitions). We say that someone messed up (saying someone dropped the ball is common slang, but I believe less common than messed up/screwed up/goofed up/[email protected]$ed up).

We say bumpkin a little bit, hick a little more, but usually say redneck.

We say loopy a little bit, and loco some (which is Spanish). We also say crazy, insane, psychotic, mad, raving mad, lunatic, raving lunatic, nuts, bonkers, etc

raye_raye

my bologna has a 1st name
this has got to be the most interesting thread on the whole forum...

i am completely american and i have a question...

why are french fries named french if they aren't from france...?
and fags are cigs in other locations(outside of USA) and faggot is referenced to a pile of sticks, but in the slang of today how did fag/faggot get so derrogatory(sp)?

Wade8813

Registered Member
One of my college profs told me that "fag" became a derogatory term for homosexuals because they used to burn them at the stake, and used fagots (the wood) as fuel for the fire.

PentaCube

Registered Member
One of my college profs told me that "fag" became a derogatory term for homosexuals because they used to burn them at the stake, and used fagots (the wood) as fuel for the fire.
\

"An obsolete reference to faggot from 17th Century Britain refers to a "man hired into military service simply to fill out the ranks at muster."" There is another one I suppose, thank you wikipedia.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
this has got to be the most interesting thread on the whole forum...
This has definitely been my most successful thread thats for darn sure!

No...I mean..... in the UK any room with a toilet is most often called a "toilet". Whilst in the US they call it a "bathroom" or as Rebeccaa pointed out a "Restroom".
I recall in my previous foreign language courses that some of the languages refer to "The Toilet" as the whole process including showering and brushing teeth. If you were in the toilet you're pretty much maintaining your hygiene. Thought that was funny how in the US a Toilet is just a chunk of Porcelain to flush waste away.

Bananas

Endangered Species
:ph34r:Slightly off-topic but still on topic:

This thread reminded me of a recent language calamity that happened near here:

The road sign above has the English version written on top and then Welsh on the lower part. Nothing to unusual in that as all our signs are bilingual, unless thhat is you're a welsh speaker as it reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

Heres another:

Welsh translation "Pedestrians Look left" :shifteyes:

....and one more:

Welsh translation "Upset Bladder Inflamation" :confused:

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yeah, there's a lot of awesome signs that got messed up in translation. Although usually not something as negligent as mixing up L/R