Confused in Translation

I say both of them. You guys say 'restroom,' right?
we usually just say "fuck i gotta take a leak" or "shit i gotta piss" and run out of the room..... :lol:
------
I don't think so. A lot of products are labeled as "flying discs" or whatever, and I'm fairly sure it's because they can't use Frisbee. The same is for tissue/Kleenex.
i heard on the radio on like 750 AM that there was a huge lawsuit a long time ago because one of thermos's competitors said the name thermos in a commercial. it was overturned because it had been decided that the term thermos was used in every day language to describe that product therefor it could not be copyrighted or trademarked anymore. i'm pretty sure that applies to all things including Frisbee and Kleenex. i mean the whole sport is called Frisbee golf not flying disk golf.... at least here.

Last edited:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Toilet = Bathroom

Do you mean you call the room with just a toilet 'The bathroom'? Here we have the bathroom, and the toilet, unless it's someones house, and the bathroom has a toilet in it, you say 'I'm going to the bathroom.'

More crude versions of 'the toilet:'
'The Bog.'
'The Loo.'
'The Lavvy.'

Film - Movie
Nursery - Kinder Garden

Nursery - Kinder Garden
actually nurserys and kindergarten are two different things. kindergarten is a special grade before first grade to get kids ready to attend school. a nursery is either a garden where plants are "bred" for lack of a better term OR a babies room.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
actually nurserys and kindergarten are two different things. kindergarten is a special grade before first grade to get kids ready to attend school. a nursery is either a garden where plants are "bred" for lack of a better term OR a babies room.
Here Nursery has two meanings too, it's a place for seedlings to grow, and it's a place for Children under the age of five and over three years to prepare for School.
Their is no such thing as a Kindergarten here, but I might I have heard the term used as a private name for a Nursery. The other term is 'Playgroup.'

If you are under four years old and don't wear nappies, you can go to 'Créche.' [Cresh]

Last edited:
Here Nursery has two meanings too, it's a place for seedlings to grow, and it's a place for Children under the age of five and over three years to prepare for School.
Their is no such thing as a Kindergarten here, but I might I have heard the term used as a private name for a Nursery. The other term is 'Playgroup.'

If you are under four years old and don't wear nappies, you can go to 'Créche.' [Cresh]
oh thats like preschool haha. kindergarten here is an actual grade or level of school. and it sounds like you're playgroup would be either preschool or daycare.

No, we don't. Most people with an ounce of manners do say 'restroom' or 'bathroom.'
uh yeah by we i do mean me and the people in my general area as i did make quite clear earlier i believe the united states in general do not use the same terminology therefore it should be divided into territories like northwest, southwest ect. ect. but thanks for picking a fight anyhow.

and generally a laughing smiley means there is a hint of a joke present.... for future reference.

Last edited:
I'm sure the whole of the US understands and appreciates 'bathroom' and 'restroom' more so than...
Originally Posted by EndWinterRomance:
we usually just say "fuck i gotta take a leak" or "shit i gotta piss" and run out of the room
This thread is in regards to what a populace says and understands, not one state or city.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Tap - Faucet.
Garden - Yard.
Garage [pronounced Gar age] - Garage [pronounced Ga-rah-ge { with a French accent{ ]
Tomato [pronounced Tom a toe] - Tomato [Tom A toe]
Bum - Fanny
Tramp - Bum [I know a Bum can be a Tramp in the U.S too]
Bum [in more recent years] in the U.K can also mean someone that is so lazy he or she can't be bothered to work.
Excuse me - Pardon Me.
Full-stop - Period.
Pissed - Drunk
Up the Duff - Knocked-up.
Spanner - Wrench.
Off Licence - Liquor Store.
Bum Bag - Fanny Pack/Pouch.
Geek - Dork.
Messed-up - Drop the ball.
Bumpkin - Hick.
Caravan - Trailer.
Loopy - Loco.